1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Reporter at the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeff_Albertson, Jan 29, 2007.

1. BlueJacket99

BlueJacket99 New Member

I know a copy editor who started there a few years ago got $34K. And she was only a few years out of college. Maybe $35K is on the high end, but not ridiculously so.

2. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Anyone know who moved to create this opening? I know Gary Fallesen, their outdoors writer, left and Leo Roth, who did a lot of work with the Bills, moved over to the outdoors gig. One of the previous prep writers move up?

3. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

It's a new position. No one's leaving, no one's moving.

There's very little turnover in sports in Rochester.

And I'm pretty sure this preps reporter won't wear other hats like the two they have now do. One helps out with the minor league teams from time to time, and the other beats Syracuse basketball (mainly home games) and the pro soccer team, the Rhinos.

There are slow days/times of year for high school sports. Youth sports, which I'd guess include bowling, t-ball, and junior league hockey, to name a few, go all year round (even in the summer).

Gotta like the web, and gotta be cool with covering the little ones (and their great interview answers) if you're after this gig.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's a good one.

5. Umm, I just got off the phone with Tom, and he said he's looking for 3-5 years experience for this job. Is that normal?!?

6. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

The size of the paper has something to do with that experience requirement. And I'm sure Gannett does, too.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes

8. boots

boots New Member

If you don't like snow, cloudy days, homely women and being cold, don't apply. The paper has its issues but you could do worse in the Gannett food chain. It gets a half-hearted boots seal of approval because of its size. The D&C definitely isn't what it used to be. The web and to be somewhat honest, subpar talent, has watched it decline in the eyes of many.

9. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Got my start as a part-timer here.

Shoot me a PM if you have questions...

10. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

This must be the job I mentioned awhile ago....sounds like a decent gig

11. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Did they start moving on this one yet?

12. boots

boots New Member

According to my sources, everything is very preliminary.

Draft saved Draft deleted