1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter — IndyStar

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matthew Glenesk, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

OIP (1).jpg

Easy chief. So, you said you were laid off over a year ago and aren't looking to anything other than journalism. Not saying to give up but find something as a placeholder and see if you can freelance a couple stories per month. The industry just isn't what it was and there aren't too many positions. You don't have to scrap your career ambitions, but you can seek employment at other places and maybe it will bring you happiness you didn't know you'd find in another position.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can feel your hurt and frustration, and it's certainly valid. There's nothing "wrong" about it. Ditto studthug12's question, though. Even if he missed the mark with regard to whether your concerns were about money or hours, he has a point. And that is that, yes, there is life after journalism, and outside of it.

This journalists' board that you're referencing has learned and experienced that -- oftentimes in ways we never, ever would've chosen before it occurred.

I hope you get to stay in the business that you love, to the extent that you'd like, for as long as you like, after you've found your way back into it. But that point should be good to hear, and know, and be assured of, just in case you don't.

Much of this type of experience is all about perspective(s), and many of us have some that you might not. Just realize that, and take from it what you can. We want to help.

HanSenSE, SFIND and Adam94 like this.
  3. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Thank you, @WriteThinking, for the sensible and understanding reply. I regret this thread has turned into a referendum on my career and I won't be posting on this board going forward.

I want to correct a few things for the record first. First off, it hasn't been over a year, it's been under a year. I know I told Sports Barf I was unemployed, but I only meant that in the sense of full-time employment. I have been freelancing for several months now, which is what I referred to as "grinding to get back" in an earlier post. None of you need to worry about me; one way or another, I'll be fine.

I'm not your son.

That about covers it. Peace, all.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

You seem like a wonderful person to be around

SFIND likes this.
  5. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Likewise :D

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

@Adam94 I hope you continue to post here in the future. We can have disagreements on this board. I am only 34, have a decade in newspapers to go with nearly two in health care communications. With two kids now, the health care communications are much better hours and much better pay for a family man. For yourself I am not sure your family situation, but there are other industries where you use these skills you have accumulated while working in journalism and can be rewarding as well.

I know you want to be a sports journalist. Hell, I think if the industry were better we'd all be less cynical and still be working at a newspaper. But, today, things are different. I know you said you'll be fine either way, but I wish you nothing but happiness. It stinks and I don't want to be disrespectful, but maybe find a weekly small-community paper gig if pay and money are no difference. Have a good one.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Adam94

Adam94 Member

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

As a young small-town sports editor I mailed out dozens of resumes in a desperate search to get away from the crap newspaper where I worked (the ceiling was literally falling in and went unrepaired for more than a year). While my broadcast was largely a waste of time with only an occasional form-letter response, I still recall a personal, encouraging note from Ted Natt, a publisher in Longview, Wash. He had obviously read my clips and praised my work. I never heard from him again, but I still remember the letter.

Natt's paper had just won a Pulitzer for reporting on the Mt. St. Helens eruption, so I'm sure he was hearing from a lot of job applicants. Maybe he had a clerk write kind letters to all of us. Either way, I was struck by his graciousness.

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The AJC sent me the only honest-to-God rejection letter I ever got in journalism, for a position that was probably five steps on the career ladder above where I stood then. I remember being confused seeing the envelope because frankly I had forgotten I’d even applied.

11. superhater

superhater Member

lol

Sports Barf likes this.
  12. Adam94

Adam94 Member

@studthug12 told me, "I hope you continue to post here in the future. We can have disagreements on this board." Then I get this. Thanks for showing me why I shouldn't have bothered posting again. Ditto to @Sports Barf. I'm not a kid, and I won't hang around here any longer and continue to tolerate your disrespect.

All I did was post a link to an even-handed Poynter article related to the earlier topic at hand, which came out after we left this discussion. It could have served as an interesting point in the conversation if any of you wanted that, but it's clear you'd rather just shit on me. Don't believe I broke any rules of the board by re-upping an old thread, but tell me if I'm wrong.

Never wanted to cause such a ruckus in the first place. Unfortunately most, if not all, online communities get infected with this kind of toxicity thanks to a couple bad actors. Whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.