1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter — IndyStar

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matthew Glenesk, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree. Definitely uncalled for.

Adam94 likes this.
  2. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Thank you, glad some of you guys agree. @Sports Barf I get you're the neighborhood troll around here and being unlikeable is part of your shtick, but I draw the line when you speak to me that way without knowing me. I'm an award-winning sports reporter who's been unemployed since last summer and I'm grinding my way back. You couldn't imagine some of the stuff I've been through. So take your "Be better" horseshit elsewhere. I'm always striving to be better; this thread was not about that.

My point was best expressed by playthrough; if you're going to email some rejected applicants, don't give up halfway, email them all back, even if it's just a copy-and-paste "We've moved on in our search." I'm not saying Mr. Glenesk needs to carve out time to tell every single applicant how they can improve for next time.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Eastsider1221

Eastsider1221 New Member

Yeah this is messed up. Why even say that if you’re not going to email everyone back? I also am clawing to get back in after being laid off. That kind of response is demoralizing.

Adam94 likes this.
  4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Would you rather get an automated response than nothing? Nobody owes nobody nothing. Not never. And not having the time to respond to every single applicant, which probably numbered in the hundreds, is incongruent to someone’s sense of professionalism. How many times have we gone over this on this board. Grow up.

SFIND likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Sorry I guess I missed the part about Rene Descartes bitching on a public message board about not getting a rejection letter

SFIND likes this.
  6. Adam94

Adam94 Member

First off, loved the quadruple negative or whatever that is, good work on that. Yes, as I already established, I'd prefer to get a form rejection email over silence, because at least I'd know where I stood. 99% of these places just never reply - to applications, to follow-up emails, etc. Maybe you've never had the misfortune of being unemployed, but hitting that void over and over can make a guy go crazy after enough time. If you can't wrap your mind around that I don't know what to tell you.

Earlier point stands, though, brother. I can stomach kidding around. Be snarky all you want. Do not come at me with your "be better" crap if you don't know me.

2muchcoffeeman and Eastsider1221 like this.
  7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Are you applying to other jobs or only journalism gigs? Just wondering. I mean you can find better pay and better hours outside of newspapers.

RonClements likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually yes, I'd rather get an automated response than nothing -- and it's not hard or time-consuming to make something generic-yet-informative and blast it out to hundreds of emails. At the end of the day, we're all still in the communications business. If you're on the other side of the argument, fine, but I don't think it requires vitriol on top of it.

Adam94 likes this.
  9. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Right. And besides, the original point was that the editor began sending out emails to some applicants but then wrote a generic forum post for everyone else to find. Everyone deserves the same amount of courtesy.

10. Eastsider1221

Eastsider1221 New Member

That’s the thing. I didn’t expect to hear back if I wasn’t being considered, but to hear that others did and I didn’t was a slap in the face.

Adam94 likes this.
  11. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Oh, you mean give up? Like stop trying, move on? Thanks man, that never crossed my mind. I'll forget all my career ambitions right now and throw away all the work I've put in and all the sacrifices my loved ones have made to help me pursue this career. Terrific, thanks for the advice. Amazing what you can learn about giving up on journalism on a sports journalists forum.

Editing to add: If it were only about better pay and better hours I would have moved on a long time ago. I'm not stupid. I know what career I got myself into, but this is the only thing I've ever wanted to do with my life and I'm not giving up at my age. And your decision to even ask if I've decided to give up on journalism is both beside the point of this thread and contradictory to the mission of a journalists' forum.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Easy, son. He was just asking. You might be dooming yourself putting all of your eggs in one basket. Maybe not. Others might appreciate the advice he gave. You obviously don't.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.