1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School sports question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, May 18, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In NJ, they allow high school teams to play regular season games after the state tournament begins. Is NJ unique in this regard?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You can play practice games in Texas that count toward your record, but don't mean anything.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In Florida, there are bowl games, in which non-qualifiers for the playoffs can have an extra game, and in 2004, the FHSAA allowed non-playoff teams to make up one regular-season game that had been wiped out by hurricanes (several teams had had two or three such games). It was such an underwhelming experience that I doubt they'd do it again.

In Georgia, there's no such thing.

I remember visiting New Jersey around Thanksgiving and being utterly baffled that this was allowed to happen.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it is in regard to the four states i've worked.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan used to allow it for baseball through the districts and track has a non-MHSAA run meet in the weekend between the regionals and state finals

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

In Ohio, the baseball and softball tournaments start during the regular season.
    Seems kind of weird, but otherwise the season could go to July.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

When I worked in Ohio and first saw that, I thought it was strange. I mean, if you lose in the playoffs, what does it matter. BUt there are still conferences to be decided, etc. Still think it's strange, but hey.

In Kentucky, if you don't get all your games in by the time playoff start too bad..

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, you're allowed to make up conference games after both teams are eliminated from the state tournament.

If one team loses in the first rounds and the other goes to the State Finals, the first team is going to have to reconvene after not having played for three weeks, but ...

9. Taylee

Taylee Member

Odd note about Ohio (among the many), the official end of the baseball/softball seasons is the week AFTER the state championships. Gives teams the ability to make up league games. Never seen it happen, but it's possible, at least in Ohio.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In fact, if I remember correctly in Michigan, both the Catholic League finals at Comerica Park, the Detroit PSL finals and Operation Friendship between the two leagues are after the MHSAA baseball tourney starts

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Happens fairly often in New Yrok, especially spring sports because of the very short window between the end of winter and final exams. I believe that window fell on a Thursday last year.

Sports like tennis and baseball see frequent makeups after the start of sectional playoffs, though it's rare for the makeups to extend into the state tournament portion of the schedule.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

There are plenty of games scheduled in Michigan after the baseball tournament starts. Some in softball, but teams play a predistrict game on Tuesday and a regular-season game the next day all of the time. Our lovely April weather is a big part of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted