1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Question--creatine/supplements/looking the other way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried ZMA ? That is suppose to be a very good supplement.

2. Sounds like a solid enterprise story to me.

3. Boom_70

A few years back someone from SJ did a very good one. It was a series that dealt with High school athletes in
    Ohio using Steroids and suppliments. I believe it won an APSE award. I am drawing a blank on posters name.

4. I have no idea what that means, but whatever. That was just something that popped up on a Google search. Plus the guy was citing studies, that's what I linked to it.

5. I definitely agree it is a very good training supplement. I've used it on and off for the past 8-9 years and have always had very good results. I also took andro when I was in college, but stopped because it was too expensive. But I tell you what, that stuff was fucking awesome.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, and when people talk about taking out vending machines or providing healthy school lunches, some nitwit yells "Nanny state!"

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

By request:

How do we approach the high school athlete when it comes to performance enhancing drugs, legal or not? This is my two cents worth...

There are four types of athletes in the world:

1. those with natural physical ability who wrok hard to maximize potenital and end up as elite athletes.

2. those with natural physical ability who do not maximize potential and still may achieve some success.

3. those with lesser talent but who work hard and achieve success.

4. those with lesser talent, but regardless of how hard they work can never achieve success.

Using artificial means may move up within your group, but likely will never move you up the chain. Just as in the real world, where crime seldom pays, drugs won't replace the effort needed to succeed.

Just my little philosophy of life and sports

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I never said creatine was bad. I've taken it, and it works. The problem is that a lot of people -- most, in fact -- that just pick up a supplement and start taking it don't realize how to take them. Water and fluid intake has to increase, otherwise the supplements can cause serious problems.

But I think it's going to be tough for a high school to regulate known legal substances. If I was a coach, the only supplement I'd put a ban on is ephedrine.

The problem with drug testing in high school is that it's VERY expensive. Who is going to foot the bill for steroid testing? High school sports in a lot of states don't even drug test, at least not until the state tournament. Steroid testing isn't cheap, and in an educational system that's already wildly underfunded, can we really ask the school boards to pour money into testing.

The best way is EDUCATION. Coaches, teachers, parents -- everyone should be telling kids how bad steroids are, and everyone should instruct on how to take supplements if it's going to be done.

9. Boom_70

As always good stuff Doc. Catigory # 2 is the group of athletes that will drive parents and coaches nuts until the end of time. It's mental more thn physical for that group.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There should be nothing on the shelves at your local GNC that should be prohibited for use by athletes.

11. I think I remember that. Still, it shouldn't stop reporters here looking at how it impacts there area.

Another good enterprise idea: reporters should check your local school systems to find out if they do background checks on volunteers - or if the state even requires checks. Some districts have turned around later to find out that one of their unpaid volunteers was a registered sex offender.

12. Boom_70

Do you think Tom Gollata would echo that thought?

Draft saved Draft deleted