1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Coordinator- Casper, WY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1524378

Company: Casper Star Tribune
    Position:
    High School Sports Coordinator
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    November 14, 2013
    Job ID: 1524378

Description:

The Casper Star-Tribune, Wyoming’s only statewide newspaper, is seeking a talented reporter with high expectations and organizational skills to lead our high school sports coverage.

Duties will primarily focus on high school athletics but will also include some general sports assignment and pagination responsibilities.

Enterprise and online reporting, along with maintaining spreadsheets or databases, are a must here, so evidence of investigative, storytelling and multi-media skills (including pagination) and will put you ahead of the field. We’re looking for someone who isn’t afraid of controversy, writes for our readers and looks beyond yesterday’s scores.

The successful candidate will also have excellent time management and organizational skills, including the ability to accurately gauge project duration, deliver on deadline and manage a workload with possible conflicting priorities. You’ll need a bachelor’s degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continually improve as a writer and have a strong attention to detail.

Our newsroom is hard-working but fun, and we take pride in being the prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section has won 30 APSE awards since 1995, including five in 2008. We’re looking for someone to help us build on that excellence.

The Star-Tribune, with a circulation of about 29,000, has been named Wyoming’s best daily newspaper for four consecutive years. You’ll live and play among Wyoming’s outdoor splendor – Casper’s central location (we’re about a four-hour drive north of Denver) offers a wide range of non-work activities.

We have full-time writers for our University of Wyoming beats, and Casper is home to minor league baseball and football teams and the College National Finals Rodeo. You’ll pitch in on those beats at times, as well.

Experienced journalists are preferred for this position, but new journalists are welcome to apply.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our Web site at www.trib.comand learn more about our parent company at www.lee.net.

To apply, visit www.trib.com/workhere

2. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

This is a repost from early September. Second time a sports job in Casper has been reposted.

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I searched for it here, couldn't find it. Figure I'd post it since it's been up for a day or so, just to help.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been there, seen the paper. Certainly respectable. But I do suspect the location and climate are downers for some individuals. If you've lived in New York City all of your life, it might be a bit of culture shock.

5. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

It's a culture shock for most anyone, even people who live just south in Colorado. But you're right. The weather and isolation are why most stay there at most two years and have to get out.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No, no, wait: I'm in Casper, Wyoming; I'm in the lobby of a Howard Johnson's and I'm wearing a pink carnation.

7. azom

azom Member

I had this job from 2005-09. The job is a bit different now than when I had it.

It's a great opportunity. Two former sports editors still work in the newsroom, so you have a lot of support and institutional memory.

If you have questions you're not comfortable asking in public, feel free to PM.

8. boogie

boogie New Member

great gig if you're young and aren't too much of a sissy about the cold.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

how young?

Draft saved Draft deleted