1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school records, past champions, etc ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for past champions of specific high school sports, or an individual game record for a sport (most points in a basketball game, most rushing yards in a football game), does your local state scholastic league keep those sort of things?
    Rhode Island doesn't, and this wouldn't be a huge issue, but we saw a kid run for 348 yards in a title game an the RIIL said they don't keep records of individual stats, which pissed me off, not to mention the fact I called and asked who played in a state title game a decade ago and they said they don't keep records like that either.

Does anyone's state group keep stuff like this, or is the RIIL especially inept?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Other states are better.

You might check ProJo. They might have some stuff.

Is there a Sportswriters alliance any more.

I do find it hard to believe they do not have listing of past champions.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, and they are lying to you.

http://www.rihssports.com/

Go from there.

I am not sure if everything is there, but ice hockey goes back to 1938, I think.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know my state had past-champions records and medalists for golf, cross country and swimming winners, but individual stats for football, baseball and the like were nonexistent. Fortunately there was a Superman prep writer at another paper who kept up with all that, with our input, and shared his massive databases. All of us around the state should have made sure he never paid for a beer after-hours at playoffs and tournaments...

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

In Texas, everything is recorded for high school football. We're lucky.

www.texasfootball.com
    www.uil.utexas.edu

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My state keeps a decent record book, which you can download off the state association's Web site. It has all the past champions and most individual records you could ever want.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Massachusetts high school sports are run by a pretty inept group, but they have all the scores of all the football postseason games since 1972. Not so sure about other sports.

8. azom

azom Member

Our paper's high school archives are a ton more inclusive than the state high school association's. And I went to the trouble of making my own high school football database. But unfortunately individual records are still spotty....

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The MIAA is horrible. They don't have half of what the PIAA has on file.

The late (I think he's late) Bob Walsh kept track of all sorts of high school stats, and he did it informally for the Globe. I wonder if anyone's taken over the task.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My state sucks. The website has to improve to be a CF....

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

But that's not the state's site ...that's an independent.

12. JLawson

JLawson Member

It's ridiculous if your state doesn't keep track of that sort of thing. Here in Nevada they do a pretty good job of giving us books on recaps (only for playoffs not regular season) and a records book that is done pretty well. The only thing I wish they did differently is keep track of the regular season and regional championships as far how many each school has won, but that's a small complaint compared to what you have.

Draft saved Draft deleted