1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School QB Intrigue With an ESPN Connection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sucks for the kid who worked his ass off for the past year to get to the point of starting. This put HC in a very difficult spot.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As someone pointed out, there are cases where a high school has two quarterbacks good enough to play Divison I, so that's likely why he didn't start in Florida.

We have a similar thing going on in our area. Kid from a prominent local family had been dubbed the next great thing by a lot of people. He put up huge numbers in JV as a sophomore and is a cousin of a local hero that QB'd a team to a state title.

The season starts and the team has another kid who is about the same skill level right now, is a sophomore and has potential to be something great. Younger kid starts the first game and older kid quits team. His dad resigns from city council and moves to the next county over, where he'll probably be the best player on the team. But do you play him over the kids that have been practicing since the start of August?

3. Boom_70

Not even August - current QB has been playing in 7 on 7 tournaments since last winters as presumed starting QB.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Am I reading this correctly?

A kid who played in a nationally televised game on Aug. 29 transfers and has immediate eligibility at another high school in the same season? What state's high school association allows that?

5. Boom_70

Yes correct. It's pretty effed up that it is allowed. Mostly blame the parents.

6. If his family can afford to just up and move into New Canaan, then his dad's years as a middling NFL Tight End must have paid handsomely.

7. When parents move, phsycially change addresses, it's impossible to stop.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

New Canaan is the number one team in CT right now and the FCIAC is the best conference overall. But if you have a senior QB who has been with the team and has the respect of his teammates, I don't see what the issue is. Why should the coach change his offense for the new kid? Article says Baty is a pro-style dropback passer. NC runs a spread offense--big difference.

And if you are going to go anywhere you pick CT? Really? I think the level of football is ok for its size, but NJ and Penna both play football at a higher level and don't have as many (state imposed) tight ass restrictions.

9. Boom_70

Exactly - playing against "Trust Fund Biff from Darien" is a big drop down from playing against a kid from Overton who's momma is crack whore. The move makes no sense if you are trying to showcase the kid.

NC is too committed to the Spread to change. Maybe they wanted to get him into a good spread system since that is the way so many colleges are going. Since the NC coach is tight with Tony Franklin perhaps there was a connection there.

10. Boom_70

Went to see "The Kid " play tonight. With NC up 36- 0 midway 2nd qtr , Baty comes in. First play goes deep - interception.

Initial observation - did not strike me as D1 prospect. Program listed him at 6"3" . If he is 6"1" I would be shocked .

11. Boom_70

Interesting follow up to story. Long and short of it - how parents can really screw up a kid.

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/football/article/Teammates-head-coach-AD-react-to-Baty-s-361156.php

As it stands now Baty has no scholarship offers and has moved back to his old school in Florida to graduate.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wow, what a mess.

So winning a state football title in Connecticut - thats like winning a league title in Florida or Texas, correct?

Draft saved Draft deleted