1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School punts on football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ha, it's interesting. Middle of Nowhere Kansas has plenty of communities that are either football towns or basketball towns. Part of it for us was just that in a town of 500 or so you were a lot more likely to have four or five good athletes to put on the basketball court than eight to round out a football lineup.

Smith Center was a nearby football powerhouse and a 3A school to our 1A and had way more good athletes than we did. We were 8-man so we were never going to play in football anyway, but it would have been murder. Like, somebody could have actually died. But we kicked their ass in hoops my junior and senior seasons.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The problem, shottie, is presuming the "half your little town spilling into the stadium" model will continue indefinitely. I don't think that's a safe presumption, because the world of small towners is expanding too.

For example, when I was growing up, these were my town's evening entertainment options: A single-screen movie theater airing one film per week, a bowling alley ...oh, and the Pizza Hut was also a huge gathering point. On TV, we got only four channels via antennae (didn't have cable) with crap like Laverne and Shirley often being the night's best viewing option.

In that setting, the local HS football and basketball games were the shit. Best show in town. Everybody went, and we convinced ourselves this was really important. I loved going to those games as a kid.

But if I were growing up there today, there'd also be all the wonders of the internet, social media, youtube, etc. Hundreds of TV channels to watch on huge clear HDTV screens, streaming sites with thousands of movies/shows on demand, unbelievably cool video games that can be played against people from around the world. And whatever other entertainment tech marvels are out there, lord knows I can't keep track.

I don't think I'd be nearly as interested in watching the local high school game if I were a small town kid today.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Football was the absolute pinnacle in my small hometown. Our school was the biggest in the state (in its division) so the numbers were favorable from the get-go, and then there came an amazing six or seven years when it went undefeated in the regular season. We went to all the home games, of course, and when I started junior high I was allowed to ride the church bus to the away games.

Like most everyone else I assumed that one day I'd play, but when it came my time I got through the hellish part of the pre-season -- the week of two-a-days and then the week away at camp -- and then was watching scrimmage film that third Monday and thought ... fuck this shit. Turned my stuff in and never looked back.

The way people reacted, you'd have thought I'd committed some mortal sin. It wasn't like I was any good or anything ... I would have spent that whole year holding a blocking dummy as a scout-team defensive tackle, then I'd have played some tight end or defensive end as a senior ... so there was no loss to the team. It was just that if you could play, you played. That's what everyone did! Well, not everyone.

4. Jake_Taylor

South of Fredericksburg.

Waynesboro JV football struggling to find players

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. Jake_Taylor

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My very large Mass. town, 36,000 residents, over 2K lids in the high school, has had more than once bigger crowds watching youth soccer games in the adjacent fields than the high school football game.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder why a couple schools don't just combine teams. Or allow players to play at different schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted