1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Milestones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 10, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How can a high school kid weigh 91 pounds? I passed that mark way before high school.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

we've got a veteran writer in the area who is super at keeping track of all track and field records, so we rely on him a lot. he's also good with basketball and football, but not to the extent that we have solid records for most rushing yards in a game, season, career; etc...
    our state writers' association is trying to set up a data base for this very thing, plus our state hall of fame is planning to delve into this more. with preps taking on more and more significance and attracting more media attention, it should continue to improve.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

More than Wilt.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've covered kids in the 80s and 90s before. It's crazy. Spnited probably has something to say about it, too.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would I have something to say about it Mikey?
    Lowest weight class in NJ is 103, upped from 98 about 15 years ago.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's been 103 everywhere I've been, too.

I just recall you campaigning that wrestling is child abuse in the past -- which I can certainly see to a point. Or was that someone else?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not me. The only thing I have against wrestling is too damn many quad meets on Saturday.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. Who needs a good memory?

I can't blame you there. We get a ton of tri-meets here with the occasional eight- or nine-team dual tournament.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Join the club. A couple years ago I spent the better part of the summer compiling a football record book for our county. At any given time, there were four to five schools. Of course, no one had done much of anything to keep up with it so I went through 100 years worth of papers for season, career, and single-game records. Damn near went insane. I vowed never ... EVER ... to do that with basketball or baseball (which have two or three times as many games in a season).

And to that end, the best teams in our state play about 40-45 games if they win a state title. I think one school went 44-0 last year. A star player on that kind of team wouldn't have to do much to score 1,000 points in a hurry. We had one team go deep into the playoffs last year with a guy averaging around 25 a game. He might have scored 1,000 last season alone.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The importance of hitting the 1,000-point mark in basketball probably varies by state.

Ohio only allows teams to play 20 regular-season games. Since there's a chance your team could be one-and-done in the tournament each year, that gives a four-year player a chance to play in a minimum of 84 games a year.

If a kid averages 11.91 points per game per year all four years, he/she will top the 1,000-point mark. For the more traditional route of juniors and seniors playing varsity, a kid would need to average 23.81 points per game to top 1,000 points.

For those wondering, Ohio's basketball records for points are
    BOYS
    Game: 120 Dick Bogenrife of Sedalia Midway in a 137-46 win over Canaan(02/06/1953)
    Season: 1,266 Rex Leach of Vienna Mathews (1954-1955)
    Career: 3,208 Jon Diebler of Fostoria (2003-04) and Upper Sandusky (2004-2007)

GIRLS
    Game: 76 Lisa Cline of Millersburg West Holmes vs. Akron Coventry (01/28/1985)
    Season: 1,034 Lisa Cline of Millersburg West Holmes (1984-1985)
    Career: 3,514 Marlene Stollings of Beaver Eastern (1989-1993)

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I weighed barely 90 pounds my freshman and sophomore years. Puberty didn't come around until 16-17 and I graduated high school at 17.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

When we put together our preseason info, we ask in advance. For example, as fossywriter8 pointed out, teams are limited to 20 regular-season games here in O-H-I-O.

We ask every coach if he/she has a player with 500 or more career points heading into a season. With weekly stat packages throughout the season, it's pretty easy to keep an eye on players approaching milestones.

We've put together county records in football, volleyball, girls and boys hoops, wrestling, baseball and softball and track. In our area, readers eat this stuff up.

Draft saved Draft deleted