1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Kid Pitches Fourth Consecutive No-Hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jobe really IS slotting him for a visit.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I lost a no-hitter that way in a 15-18 game. Walked a guy, and he scored after two straight errors.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did you throw the guys who made the errors under the bus after the game?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good story from Andy Staples, who is one of my favorite writers at SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/04/21/no.hitter/index.html?eref=T1

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would think it's more likely that you throw more pitches in a no-hitter. It takes at minimum three pitches to get a strikeout, and if someone strikes out a lot of hitters in a no-no, that pitch count is going to add up.

A pitcher who makes hitters put the ball in play is more likely to have a lower pitch count because it can potentially take fewer pitches to retire a hitter with a ground ball or a fly ball.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

True, but in a no-hitter, a pitcher is facing the minimum number of batters, save for walks and HBP, which I'm guessing there weren't many of. So for 21 batters, if you average 5 pitches per batter, that's about 100 pitches, which isn't a whopping number.

I'd like to know how long each game lasted. Could give us a better idea of his pitch count.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah, but walks, hit batsmen and guys reaching on errors can drive up pitch counts. Randy Johnson walked six Detroit Tigers in his June 2, 1990 no-hitter.

Where your comments really come into play is a perfect game, which means a pitcher faces the minimum number of batters the entire ballgame by definition.

8. JackReacher

Either way, I'd like to see his pitch counts.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The pitch counts for the last two no-hitters are in the stories linked above. He threw 95 in one, 104 in the other. One of the no-hitters, I think the second one, was only five innings, so that count probably wasn't too crazy.

10. JackReacher

Shit. Thanks. I should read more.

So yeah, the argument about his arm falling apart because of high pitch counts is nixed. How many sliders he threw, I have no idea. But I can't imagine anyone has cause to worry about his arm falling off because of it.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tom Engle (the ESPN guy) actually tied the record, held since 1961 by Chris Taranto of old Notre Dame High in Biloxi, Miss. (now Mercy Cross). Taranto also holds the single-season record with seven. Four of them were perfect games, if I recall correctly.

My dad played against Taranto in high school and has been telling me stories about him for years. Taranto signed with the Houston Colt .45s out of high school, but never made it to the majors (drinking and arm troubles from what I understand).

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just to add in on this, the same high school produced recent Yankees flash in the pan Tyler Clippard, who had his one shining moment memorialized thus by the Daily News.

[​IMG]

The coach up there seems to know what he's doing, and the word seems to be that he'd only make four more starts this season, one in the district tournament, two more if they make it through to and then in the region round, and another at the state finals.

The other thing he has going for him is Mitchell has a legit No.2 starter, he went to 7-1 tonight and had a 2.01 ERA entering tonight's shutout, and a No.3 with a sub-2 ERA who has also thrown 35 innings this season, so it's not like they're going to run him into the ground, as others have already noted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted