1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Kid Pitches Fourth Consecutive No-Hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Apr 21, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I didn't see this anywhere, but pretty cool stuff.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dr. Frank Jobe just penciled him in for an appointment July 12 and has no idea why.
  3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And has booked the young man for a two-night stay in the Mark Prior Suite at the Birmingham Marriott.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would have said Kerry Wood.

Prior had a fragile arm all along, it was coddled as long as it could be. Wood's was ruined in high school.
  5. What's the "Tampa Bay Tribune"?

I can't wait for a softball parent to call and demand national coverage after their daughter throws her 15th consecutive no-hitter. (1-0, run scores on an error. :))
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dusty Baker wonders why the kid isn't throwing in relief in between starts.
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So what ever happened to Ben Webb?
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because he's not Aaron Harang.
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand why everyone thinks this kid's arm is going to be shredded. The story never says how many pitches he threw in his last four starts. And pitchers usually throw fewer pitches in no-hitters, correct?
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about how often those four starts were. I wouldn't put it past a high-school coach to let the kid throw four starts in 10 days or something if it's the playoffs.

And more importantly, the best way to be this dominant in high school is to throw a lot of nasty breaking stuff, which is also the best way to ruin an 18-year-old arm.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The guy who holds the record (six straight no-hitters) now works for ESPN.
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of assumptions. Not saying it's not true, but we don't know that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted