1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Hockey State Co-Champs?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Mar 9, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2) My brother still pisses and moans about that bullshit. Coming back the next morning was the Dumbest fuckin move in the MSHSL other than dividing the hockey tourney into two classes.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but soccer doesn't count. It's a communist sport. :D

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The only problem with that is that one team has to drive 450 miles one way to the game. So coming back isn't really an option.

They do ties in soccer all the time. Eight overtimes in hockey.... and it was a four-hour game. It's not like they made 'em sing "Kumbaya." I think the MHSAA can be as big a group of blowhards as any outside ESPN or the NCAA, but they made the right call.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The problem is most people view co-championships as a cop-out. At least once every year, when two or three teams end up tied for first place in the league standings (in the regular season) somebody asks me if there's some sort of tiebreaker. I always tell them, no, they're co-champions. No tiebreaker is needed. In football in this part of this state, there is a tiebreaker because only one team per league can go to the playoffs. In every other sport, no tiebreaker is needed, but most people can't abide ties.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Well, some people will have to suck an egg. I think 109 minutes of tied hockey is plenty. Four hours and 22 minutes of hockey is more than enough. And one of the teams had a nine-hour bus ride home the next day. So, in this case, it was the right decision.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, but....I'm sure there is a rule in place stating that. There is nothing in the books about ending a game after 8 OTs. That's what sucks about it. It was just a spot decision.

No one said much when the football team went to OT last Nov. Of course that was on TV...ratings win out.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Covered a state title field hockey game that ended in a tie one time. Both teams burst into inconsolable tears when they learned their fate (Took MIAA officials quite some time to come up with same, big surprise).
    Kids are tough. Any form of settling the issue would have been fine by them, all of them.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Mike, as a veteran observer of the MIAA, do you think that co-champions is actually the desired outcome for that group, as I've heard some people suggest?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If this were the NHL, I'd agree. Make 'em play Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals until some poor looser puts it in the back of the net.

But these are high school kids. They already played EIGHT overtime periods. Declaring co-champions is perfectly justified in that case.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

A 15-12 team that managed 34 shots in 109 minutes won a Michigan state championship? Christ.

Somewhere, Red Berenson is rolling over in his grave.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If Red Berenson is, in fact, rolling over in his grave, it's likely because he isn't dead yet.

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

See, that's what makes it funny, jackass. Red looks like he died in 1988.

Draft saved Draft deleted