1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Hockey State Co-Champs?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Mar 9, 2008.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yup, it happened tonight.

Marquette and Orchard Lake St. Mary's end in a 1-1 tie after 8 Overtimes in the Division 1 Michigan State High School hockey finals.

http://www.mhsaa.com/sports/hock/08d1final.html

The "officials and managers" of the Michigan High School Athletic Association called the game a tie and awarded both teams the crown. The game was stopped after 109 minutes of play (a national record) due to the "health and welfare" of the participants.

To coin a phrase, ahem...YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

This is garbage! What if this was the state semis? Let both teams play in the final? WTF?

2. What's wrong with the idea of postponing it until tomorrow, picking up after the 8th OT? Or better yet, just give everybody in the state a medal. They all worked just as hard as Marquette and Orchard Lake St. Mary's.

3. spikechiquet

I really think that this is a great idea. We should also make sure that from now on, all games are considered ties...that way, no one gets hurt and no one has to lose. Players can go out there and play their hearts out...and at the end, they can come together at mid-court, center-ice, etc. and all hold hands and sing to the joys of everyone being happy and no one losing!!!

4. I think you could have skipped the blue font. That post is dripping with sarcasm already. :D

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Uh, you finish the game.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Whatever happened to the coin flip ... that's how it's done in soccer.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In any game before the finals, you can't have a tie because somebody needs to advance. Nobody has to advance after this game.
    The best thing to do in this case would be to come back a few days later and play another game.
    I must admit, after eight overtimes, if anybody deserves to be co-champions, these teams do.
    I've heard many people say that the state associations actually wants co-champions, but I just think that's a silly thing to say.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Why not a shootout?

Or as previously mentioned come back a few days later and play three more full periods of hockey.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dear Jack Roberts,
    Have you heard of a shootout?
    Love, ,Slappy.

(Pssst: 8 OTs and OLSM had 34 shots on goal? Fuckin recruiting buncha bastards can't put shots on goal...)

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

1. They never heard of Dave Spehar and 1995.

2. They never heard of 1985 and the game postponed till the next morning.

Just one more reason Minnesota puts on a better hockey tournament. (See the thread on MN state hockey.)

11. spikechiquet

Jack Roberts doesn't tie his own shoes without consulting the reserach department of the MHSAA.

Shoot out? No. 4-on-4? Sure.

But to Bud Selig this shit? No way!

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have heard one of those out-of-touch state association poobahs say he didn't like the idea of a shootout because one kid would end up going on the bus knowing he lost the championship.
    I'm cool with shootouts in earlier rounds, but in the finals, after three or four overtimes, come back a few days later and start over.

Draft saved Draft deleted