1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school grades

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I ran into a situation like this where a kid was ineligible for the first half of the basketball season because of grades. In the preview story for the team I mentioned it. His mom called the next day bitching me out and my only point was this: Your kid was the star of the team and the best player returning. How am I not going to mention he is going to miss the first 2 months of the season?

He later left school because he was failing every class. Dumbass.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you can come work for me any damn day.

3. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I had a situation a few years ago when I wrote a soccer preview from one of the main teams in my area and the coach was frustrated because three of his players were just ruled academically ineligible b/c they failed a bunch of classes the term before.

He said that 3 players were out and said why, but didn't name the players, but when he got the calls, they bitched at him, then he bitched to me.

Fun times.

He got the calls at least. He learned quickly...want if off the record? Say so.

Or don't mention it.

Although part of the reason I liked him was because he spoke his mind. A lot of coaches don't and revert to coachspeak.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

The girl's mother will likely shoot you on site!

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Hey Overrated,
    Do we have an update here? Are you hiding in an Afghan cave or were you promoted to a pro beat for your scoop?
    -- M

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the girl was forthcoming about it and she's really their best pitcher I would strongly consider a story about it -- especially if she is a generally good or decent student who spazzed out in a class.

I think that would be a good story about the choices we make and how she came back from that. Maybe not a long one, but an instructive one for kids and their parents.

Now, if she is just a borderline student who struggles all the time, I would leave it alone.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Ran Sunday...all quiet on the home front...I'm sure the family is busy mobilizing while I make plans to move to an island.

Draft saved Draft deleted