1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school gives students Breathalyzer before football games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/LOCAL0101/70920046

My old high school, in fact.

By the way, these are students who come as fans. The players can get as wasted as they wish.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you can't go to a high school football game loaded, the terrorists have won.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember being told by players on a team I was doing a season preview on that the team stunk so badly in previous seasons because players would leave school in the afternoon, go home and get baked and come back to play that night.

4. man.. the old days
    my friends missed one of my best games cuz they went drinking... sad really - it was the finals :(

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My HS hadn't won homecoming for eight years before my junior year. When the boys finally got the job done, we stormed the field.

One of my buddies on the team summed it up as "...like a wall of whiskey coming at you."

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Good idea, now lets test every high school athlete for HGH, steroids and amphetamines.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what a random drug test does.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

And so can their horribly obnoxious parents in the stands.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think orwell was off by a few years.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

How would someone get to this high school? Is it close enough that everyone can walk there? If they can't walk there, I can see a safety value in this, specifically in terms of drunk driving. I don't like that everyone, simply for showing up, is thrown under a cloud of suspicion and forced to prove they aren't drunk.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

99.9% of the students would not be within walking distance of the school.

I get the feeling the school's liability lawyer pushed this idea. The story says the school whips out the Breathalyzer at prom and other dances. Also, it's probably why parents, opposition students, college recruiters, et al, aren't getting checked.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My junior year in high school our basketball team had a so-so regular season then got hot when the playoffs started and made it all the way to the state title game before getting beat.

One of the reasons the team went so far was because one of our senior guards, who went on to play football in the Big 10, shot the lights out right up until the championship game. People just figured the other team did a good job defending him that night or he just had an off night in a pressure situation.

Come to find out from a friend of mine who was a basketball manager that said point guard was blazing up before each playoff game but didn't have time to before the title game because he and a teammate he rode to the game with were running late.

Draft saved Draft deleted