1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school girls soccer goalie goes all J.J. Watt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

They might have called it offside, but sure didn't look it to me. But who cares anyway? Poor girl's dead now!

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I literally laughed out loud at the last two sentences. :D

From the video, she definitely looks onside, but the assistant ref had a better angle on it.

BDC99 likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She sacrificed her body.

That's just what Tyler Summitt wanted his team to do.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What the heck could have provoked that?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's right there on the tee, but I'm not going to swing. I'm just not.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less on the offside/onside argument. The goalie should be arrested for assault.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What a crappy goalie. She wasn't even trying to block or stop the ball from going past...

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That probably should ice her for the season, but of course there will be an argument she shouldnt be penalized a year after the fact for the first incident.

If I were the state association, i'd suspend for two more games and announce she was on a total zero tolerance basis from here on in; she gets a penalty for anything -- anything --- she's gone for the year.

If she or her coach feel that's unfair, tough shit.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not to defend the tackle, which should have been a straight red and a suspension, but sometimes keepers play the role of avengers on behalf of their teammates, because it's easier for keepers to mask their intentions. I'd be curious to know whether the keeper just decided to go for the body, or if she felt she was issuing a correction. Again, no defense of the tackle—just wondering about her motivations, because the tackle was so blatant.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is that worse than the Lobos sweeper from a few years ago?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Many times, high school kids are just assholes, and there's no need to look for deeper meaning. Seeing how we now have two incidents on file, I am not very close to thinking that she was righting some big injustice.

LongTimeListener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted