1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

This may have been the ugliest game in the history of the world.

New starting QB for team on the road that goes 1-8 last year.

He's a sophomore.

Sacked 10 times.

Goes 13-25,255,2 TD.......wins 12-7.

As a TEAM....-40 yards rushing.

Home team scores opening drive....gets 18 yards total offense after first quarter.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll bet he's sore tomorrow.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I once covered a 2-0 game that was played in the remnants of a tropical storm. The score came when a punt snap went out of the end zone in the last two minutes.

This was the first season after Texas adopted overtime, and I'm willing to believe the snapper air-mailed it rather than go to OT.

Four years later, one of those schools was involved in a 6-3 OT game on a night it rained seven inches during the game. The losing team did not gain a first down all night and came within inches of stopping the game-winning TD.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit. I hope you're not a guy who relies on a lof of PBP in his gamers.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Came thiiiis close to landing a cool gig in the part of the country I want to live the rest of my life in.

In two different places.

Both gigs fell through, one because the guy who would be leaving didn't get the job he was after.

The home team score from the first gig:

Podunk 71, Opponent 0

The home team score from the second gig:

Smalltown 67, Opponent 0

At least I would have covered the winning team. :-\

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

yeah, but Suzy Cheerleader might ease his pain a bit. I know a lot of areas have already played at least one or two games, but we don't start until next week. Stupid state association won't allow us to start early. First game is against state runner-up in large division last year. oy.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oklahoma score of the night: Bixby 3, Glenpool 0.

Yep, it's a final.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I saw a strange game last night:

Class 2A leads 9-8 at halftime over Class 1A.
    Class 1A then forces six second-half fumbles and held Class 2A to -13 yards on 20 plays in the second half and won 28-9.

I thought it was pretty rare to hold a team to negative yards in the second half, but it may be stranger that the Class 2A school only had 20 plays.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Covered a 36-0 game between two winless teams last night. That was fun to watch...

Draft saved Draft deleted