1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football Weekend (10/19-10/21)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Oct 19, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

USAToday's No. 2 (I think they're still No. 2) gets punked.

Gaffney 28, Byrnes 15.

And the alleged GREATEST. PREP. QUARTERBACK. EVER. throws four picks, fumbles and is called for intentional grounding for a safety.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That QB for Gaffney looked pretty effin' good, too. Big kid. I don't think he's being recruited much, though.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hey, mustard, are Byrnes and Gaffney both Division II, or is one of them in the Big 16?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Everything has changed this season. The long answer is you can't say for sure, because the split won't happen until the playoff teams are all determined. I think Gaffney's big enough, though, that it'll be Big 16 regardless. Byrnes could be iffy. My guess would be Big 16. I'll try and see if I can get you a better answer.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So they take the 32 playoff teams (top four from each region), then split it down the middle by enrollment? If so, that's better than the old system, but still ridiculous.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm pretty sure that's the way it'll work.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, anyway, it could make for a nice rematch in the playoffs. But don't count out Summerville. That old fart McKissick still gets it done.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

A buddy and I were in a bar where the game was being played on TV. We were joking the whole time about how the QB's gut was bigger than both of ours.
    I didn't have the heart to tell my friend that he was probably wearing a rib protector that just slid down a bit.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

True. Although now that they've allegedly outlawed redshirting kids, things could get tougher.

Yeah. That's right. Redshirting high schoolers.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw a quality game tonite. Team that hasn't even had a .500 record in a couple decades went on the road to play unbeaten squad for share of conference lead. Led 6-0 at half but quickly fell behind in second half and looked dead after allowing KO return for TD to trail 21-12. Scored TD early in fourth, but let kid return KO almost 40 yards this time. Stopped the unbeaten team on a fouth-down INT with 5:25 left. Drove down to the 2 and kicked FG for two-pt lead w/11.8 seconds left. Everyone goes nuts.

But wait, there's still the kickoff. Squib kick not squibbed enough, unbeaten school's kid rips off another long return down to the 17-yard line with 2.8 seconds left. Kicker (capable of making a 50-yard FG according to MaxPreps) comes out for 34-yard try. The kick is up and ... BLOCKED!

Two celebrations for the price of one.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just saw on the wire that Odessa Permian won 63-34, making them 5-2 and 2-0 in district in a long time.
    Also, up in Idaho the 4A two-time defending champion Bishop Kelly lost at home 32-28 to Skyview, who features Colorado-committed quarterback Matt Ballenger. I would of liked to have seen that game, but I moved.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nothing new there. Berwick did it for years ... except the "redshirting" was usually done by holding the kid back in fifth or sixth grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted