1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football Tragedy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 15, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Damn. Thoughts and prayers to Wichita.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My main photographer at my first shop, who was a legend in our city, and alma mater got caught in the middle of something like this years ago (after I left). They won the state baseball title, and on his way out to shoot the celebration, our photog, who was about 70 and had some health and weight issues, collapsed, in full view of everyone. (Kinda spoiled the state title, to say the least). Turned out he had a stroke, and he died three weeks later without ever really regaining consciousness.
    The holiday hoop and hockey tournaments the paper sponsors are now named after him. As the SE before me toasted him at his 65th birthday party a few years before, "Best friend a high school athlete ever had.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Re: High School Football Tragedy

Great news!

Just got an update from Wichita.

She has been upgraded to fair condition.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And some not so good news.

A kid in my son's freshman class, a football player on the freshman team, passed away Friday night. My son saw him at the football game that evening and that evening he collapsed when he got home and died before the paramedics could get there. A tear in the aorta was the cause, and my understanding (could be wrong here) that it is something that is not easily diagnosed. 14 years old.

Now I would classify this young man as more of an acquaintance than a friend of my son's, but it's a very sobering event when you have to face your mortality as a 14 year old young man.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Very sobering. Glad to hear the cheerleader is better, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted