1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football Tragedy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Nice to hear she went from 20 minutes of CPR on a football field to Wichita's finest medical care. Hope and pray she makes it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any word on why she collapsed? It still boggles my mind

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Keep us updated Chef.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm surprised things like this aren't reported more often.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What exactly happened? Did she get trampled? Or was it some other health condition?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I covered a college hoops game many years ago where one of the refs collapsed on the court.

That's the quietest you'll ever hear 12,000 people.

Thinking nice thoughts.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

With it being a game day, maybe she didn't get a chance to eat or something.

Is there any further word on her condition?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Best wishes to this girl. Here is another sad HS football story I saw today:

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2007/09/15/news/top_news/docfd472b3f77cc451286257357000e53df.txt

Roosevelt player shot in leg
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:19 AM CDT
    (first four graphs of story)
    A Roosevelt High School football player was shot in the leg about 4 p.m. Friday in a Roosevelt parking lot, Roosevelt head football coach Kennedy Hannah said.

The shooting caused the school to postpone Friday night's scheduled game against Hammond's Gavit High until 1 p.m. today, and the game will be played at Gavit, coaches from both schools said.

Injured was Kenyatta Nathan, Hannah said. The 6-foot, 212-pound senior is an offensive lineman and a linebacker for the Panthers.

Hannah said the incident "wasn't as bad as things got out to be. I won't say it was a drive-by. It was a shooting. It was a big misunderstanding. We've got things under control. ... One of my players got hit. He was over in the parking lot. He did get hit. I have no idea who did the shooting." ...

9. what does that mean?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

People talking before the article was released?

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'm not positive, but he might be referring to rumors around school. Knowing high school kids, news travels fast and rumors often get started. I was once tackled by another fan at a HS football game. I went into the locker room on Monday and heard people saying they thought I broke my arm, or had to go to the hospital when all I had a few scratches because the guy blindsided me. Word around school / town might have been that he was shot multiple times, could lose his leg, or that they were trying to kill him.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just got an update.......girl is still in critical condition in Wichita.

Still haven't got a difinitive answer as to exactly how.....people are saying that the students had a mosh pit and the girl got caught in the middle of it.

Will keep you updated.

Draft saved Draft deleted