1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football thread — Week Zero

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How are they on the same side this year?

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I think KHSAA did that because everyone was bitching they always meet in finals. I think they met before the finals a year ago as well. I'll double check, but I'm sure that's right.

Of course, I could just be an idiot.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Had a 42-0 game with a running clock in the second half, but because my job so rarely allows me to write these days, I was kinda amped up for it.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ah yes, can't have the two biggest Catholic schools facing off each year in the title game.

It's not fair for the public schools. WAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAH!

I hate Kentucky football sometimes...

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Just back from covering my fourth game in three days. I found out I'd be covering the fourth game just as the third ended early this afternoon because of a sudden departure on our staff (new guy, on the job just a couple of weeks). No problem. The games were at the same stadium with more than enough time between to write up the early one AND grab a bite before the late one kicked off, which was supposed to be early enough that deadline shouldn't be a factor.

Of course, the start of that game was delayed more than an hour because of a thunderstorm, meaning deadline would be a factor. Then a kid goes down with a neck injury in the middle of the fourth quarter. While he was moving all limbs, they took all the precautions and spent close to a half hour getting him off. Now deadline was becoming a problem.

Thanks to three scores after the injury, the game ended more than an hour after I expected to have the story in. Then I had to wait a few more minutes while the coach addressed the team because I had to get info on the injury. I think I got it all done in time. At least the boss hasn't called to scream at me yet.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope things go as smoothly for you next week.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mandeville, La. has pulled out of Monday's Kirk Herbstreit Classic at Texas Stadium.

http://www.star-telegram.com/281/story/873153.html

Looks like John Curtis is going to go ahead and play their game against Trinity and ride out Gustav here.

Draft saved Draft deleted