1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football thread — Week Zero

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Got our first final of the year last night courtesy of AP wire: Garden City 12, Abbott 0. Damn low score for a six-man game.

Anyway, I'm all fired-up for the start of football. Anyone else start this week?

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

We started here on O-H-I-O last week. Glad to have the season under way.

3. The local parochial high school fields its first varsity team this year, their first game is tomorrow night in Annapolis, the public school schedule begins next Friday night.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God help them.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What the hell, they're playing Navy?

They better bone up on the triple option.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We're into Week 1 here, with "Week Zero" having been last week. Good times.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My old high school was on the first ESPN game-o'-the-week, and my impression was that the mayor had to be approaching orgasm with all the flattering shots and hype about the ol' hometown on national TV, especially because so many people (like my father) hate him for all the tax money he's spent to make it look less like a suburb.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Our local Baptist academy begins tonight with other teams playing tomorrow.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nice late start in NJ this year ... first games are two weeks from tomorrow.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Did they get some kind of special permission from the UIL? I thought today (Aug. 28) was the earliest date for games this season.

Oh, and three state-ranked teams play at Abilene's Shotwell Stadium this weekend: No. 6 Odessa Permian vs. Duncanville tonight, No. 7 Abilene vs. FW Dunbar on Friday and Class 4A No. 9 Abilene Cooper vs. FW Wyatt on Saturday. Saturday also has Colt McCoy's alma mater, Tuscola Jim Ned, playing at Shotwell. Joe Allen's should be busy.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We start tomorrow night. I can't wait, I've had two volleyball matches this week and need something to make my job interesting again.

At least it wasn't soccer!

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Elder at the Herbstreit in Paul Brown Stadium on Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted