1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

high school football recruit story

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by RubberSoul1979, Jan 15, 2007.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I'm doing a story where I follow a local kid around for a day, letting people know what it's like for a football recruit in anticipation of national signing day.

Other than the obvious angle - where does he want to go to college next year? - can anyone offer any advice?

2. unwitty

unwitty Member

Just a few thoughts....

- I've always been interested in how involved and influential parents actually are in the process.

- What was the actual capper for a decision? Playing time? Coach? Co-eds?

- Also, what about the angle if football doesn't work out? Does this kid have anything in the back of his mind about that?

3. hackhack

hackhack New Member

Might want to think about:

-- a timeline of what's happened up to this point. that way you have the skeleton of the story up to this day. what makes this kid different than others? what makes him the same?

-- seeing this day like a movie director might. what are the details you would want to focus on? what do those tell you about this person in this moment? details might be what text messages he gets... what he reads or hears about himself...

-- give your readers a reality check. what *doesn't* he do that other kids his ages (who aren't recruits) are doing... is he sheltered in some ways from real life? most recruits are....

good luck... will you post the finished story?

Draft saved Draft deleted