1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School football question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Haven’t posted in a while, quick Q:
    I saw a 14-play drive total -11 yards today.

Ok, that’s not a question. Just what a statement of fact. Here’s a question - on a roughing the passer, does the pass attempt count? I can’t, for the life of me, remember. 99 percent sure it was no, but now I’m having doubts.

2. Kevin Green

Kevin Green New Member

The pass does not count when there is a roughing the passer.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Posting in the wrong category, definitely a beers-for-the-board offense.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Anyone have any updates on whether they've made a hire?

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

A 14-play drive totaled minus-11 yards? Or is this one of those "Tahoe is 15 minutes away" inside jokes I don't know about?

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you love PI and roughing the passer first down plays combined a fuckton of holding calls, this was your wet dream of drives.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It would count if its complete and the penalty is tacked on to the end of the play. If its incomplete then no. Right? I think....

Rhody31 likes this.
  8. writingump

writingump Member

Pass attempt only counts in that case if it is completed. Otherwise, the penalty supercedes the play. Here's the real question: How many times did ref become a two-syllable word, as in "C'mon, ray-uf?"

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A couple of bad shotgun snaps losing -20 yards each along with a major penalty would probably do it.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What about a holding or illegal block penalty on a running play? In high school, those are 10-yard penalties from the spot of the foul so you get some weird distances marched off.
    I've always counted those as runs and gave the person the yardage to the point of the penalty, then minus-10 from there, if the penalty occurred past the line. If the penalty is behind the line and it ends up being a 14-yard penalty or something like that, I just count all of the loss as penalty yardage and no run.
    Never been sure if I've been doing it right or wrong all these years.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hate the penalties behind the line and mark it from the spot. NFHS really should just go the Texas route and adopt NCAA rules. Of course, that would reduce the NFHS's influence. For the most part, the NCAA has the best set of rules among NFHS, NCAA and NFL.

Hermes, Batman and Doc Holliday like this.
  12. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Agree 100 percent. I love it here.

Draft saved Draft deleted