1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

high school football previews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Upstatesfinest, Jun 12, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you're so right... damn it, i always forget that we publish for contest judges

as an aside, i had an editor whom i think really thought that way. amazing. i was always big on the football theem when i was in charge of 'em. silly me. i didn't know how much better it would serve our judges if i had some jackass playing the saxaphone

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Our "with-it" ME and editorial consultants are big on pop-culture references, too.

We're thinking of "Whoomp There It Is" and "U Can't Touch This."

::) ::) ::)

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I interviewed at one place and of course they're giving me copies of the paper and sports previews to show me what the paper is like and all.

One of the football previews had a stud linebacker in a butcher shop, looking he just took a bite of raw meat. Pretty cheesy.

I don't think it's really necessary to go with one central theme throughout. It's hard to link every team together.

With only 15 schools and 48 pages, you still have a pretty good chance to get creative, upstate.

For your cover story, do an enterprise type story with a cool photo, fairly lengthy and try to emcompass all schools in that. That offensive lineman story sounds like a good start.

Or maybe something on high school stadium history in your area.

And then get into the nuts and bolts, 12-15 inch or so previews on each team, schedules and if possible, helmet graphics (even if its just generic ones). Put the school name, mascot and a helmet in a breakout with the schedule, along with returning players, coach, coach record, etc, etc).

Sprinkle in some facts boxes (all time leading rushers, passers, receivers, tacklers), last season stats and it will still look good enough for awards, since your SE is so concerned with those.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

back in the day one of the things i did for helmet logos that turned out pretty good was ask every school for a helmet sticker. had it scanned in and cleaned up

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

All that said, offensive linemen are almost always good quotes. Especially after losses, when quarterbacks put on moves they couldn't make during the game to get the hell out of Dodge.

6. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

Are there any local teams who have quarterbacks who ride motorcycles without a helmet? :)

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Hey Upstate,
    Make sure now that the boss won't go on another vacation when you're getting ready to put the thing to bed.

Just lookin' out.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oh.
    My.
    God.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Too much?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm just sayin...

11. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

High School Preview time? It is June. We just had the state finals on Saturday. Time for vacation. Talk to me in mid July or early August...

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm a big fan of the lesbian cheerleader theme. But that's just me, and maybe Hoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted