1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football press boxes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NightHawk112005, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

This thread reminds me of my late friend,... Tom Borrelli ... miss you Ox ...

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yep...I get a better feel for the game down there, too...I'll stand in the rain, doesn't bother me a bit...of course, I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I've got webbed feet already :)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know of someone here who fits that stereotype -- and it ain't nighthawk...

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Damn, I miss little bit of wisdom like that from spinted.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We have a school with an interesting press box situation.
    Small town school builds a new campus, including football stadium and track; nothing spectacular about that. However, despite erecting a fieldhouse for lockerrooms and storage about 30 to 40 yards beyond one of the end zones, there is no press box.
    Even the the stands are suspect for watching a game -- only go up about 10 rows and the modern-day safety guidelines used for their placement mean the top row is only about a dozen, if that, feet above ground, so the view from anywhere but the top row of the stands is blocked by the players and cheerleaders on the sideline and the fans sitting in front of you.
    The school does, however, offer to let the media work from the second floor of the fieldhouse -- looking out a window from the home team lockerroom. Remember, this sets about 30 to 40 yards behind one of the end zones, so the angle is not only bad, but you're far away from the action.
    The announcer also sits up there and has to have a spotter with a radio on the sideline telling him where the ball is spotted. When the refs make their signals on infractions, they turn to face the fieldhouse instead of the crowd.
    Luckily I walk the sidelines, so I've never had to worry about the set up.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was a curmudgeon 30 years ago, ahead of my time... my age just caught up to me...

Draft saved Draft deleted