1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football player dies of heat stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, I remember when I played on my team last year, we actually had 3 a days during training camp and 2 a days for 2 weeks. Oh by the way, there was a 6 am 2 mile run.  Anyways, 2 people actually became dehydrated and had to go to the hospital. And throwing up in practice was very normal.  

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I kind of wonder about how much liability the school system has in a case like this. Though everybody does these "voluntary" workouts, in some states, the state association has rules against them or strictly limits what can be done during the workouts. They're usually called "captains' practices" and a coach is not usually (or at least not supposed to be) present and doing actual coaching, but there's always one way or another they find to get around the rules.
    If these workouts are technically in violation of the state association's rules and something goes terribily wrong during one of them, how liable could the school system be?

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Bingo.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

YOU OVER HERE TALKING ABOUT ESPN AND HOW THEY STOLE A STORY FROM THE AP WHERE TALKING ABOUT A YOUNG KID THAT DIED THAT DIDN'T HAVE TO DIE.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

HOW MANY MORE HAVE TO DIE CAUSE OF FOOTBALL THIS IS ENOUGH.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Don't you have a small yellow bus to catch?

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

AND AINT ON THE LIST TO SEE THE DOCTOR OF ALL A$$HOLES.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pho, is that you, my man? How's the first week of school? Many new friends to make, new girls, this is an exciting time for you. Don't be so angry.

Draft saved Draft deleted