1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football player dies of heat stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2536630

I remember playing for my varsity high school team around this time last year. The pre season workouts were extremely tough. But in this case, the workouts were actually voluntary.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or as voluntary as high-school workouts get, which is to say not voluntary at all.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When I saw the post, first thing I thought was "Georgia"....
    Surprise...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eight years ago, I worked at a paper where a guy died from heat stroke. It was just sad.

Sharp kid, didn't have water withheld ... a memory I'd just as soon forget. Problem is, I won't.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

As usual, ESPN.com takes work others have done, in this case rubbish work by AP -- the kid was 6-1, 300 pounds, according to reporting done by Derrick Mahome and others at the AJC. Then ESPN slaps ESPN.com services at the top, and then has the nerve to tag the story with "The Associated Press contributed to this report."

A very sad story. And this boy is just the first.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

First of what? Plenty of high school kids have died playing football. Why do you think mothers want their kids playing soccer?

7. Herbert Anchovy

First kid this summer. Oh, actually, I think there was a kid from Kentucky last month.

At first I thought the kid might have been a Katrina refugee, because AP indicated funeral arrangements are being done in Columbus, Miss.

And, by the way, the AP writer interviewed a parking meter reader about the despotic heat at the close of the dead football player story. Un-fucking-believable.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Here it is, for the record:

No!

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Incoming freshman in Virginia last month as well.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Whenever a football coach says that he wishes it were hotter during training camp, don't you just want to beat the shit out of him?

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But, hasn't there always been kids that have died in extreme summer heat - going back decades? Or is this a relatively new thing? Seems to me it just wasn't publicized quite as rapidly as it is nowadays.

Case in point:

My Dad played high school football and he tells of stories where coaches withheld water throughout the ENTIRE practice; where kids were throwing up and passing out. And my Dad played in the early 1970s. With the water mandates in today's day and age, and the two-a-days, with early mornings and late evenings ... you'd think kids have it easy compared to the horror stories my Dad tells.

Is my Dad exaggerating?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Some of these kids simply don't belong on the field in the shape they're in. You have to wonder how in the hell some of them pass the physicals. There weren't 300-pound defensive tackles in high school in the 1970s and 1980s.

In Mississippi and Alabama they used to call them water cows, basically holes drilled into a large garden hose, and it was good enough to do the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted