1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football Losing Streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Fort Knox football team snapped a 40-game losing streak Friday night, and I'm working on a story for tomorrow's paper.

I found what is believed to be the longest (80 games by Jefferson Davis HS in Texas), but does anyone else know of any other lengthy streaks?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Glascock County, Gibson, Ga. Lost 82 straight games from 1990 to 1999. They picked up a forfeit win in 1997, but never claimed it. They had lost the actual game 55-0, but the opponent was penalized for playing JV players more than five total quarters.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Found this one on a google search:

Sturgis Scoopers (Sturgis High School) in Sturgis, South Dakota lost 78 games in a row from 1995-2006

This one could be an interesting sidenote. A 90-year losing streak to one team, going back to 1919.
    http://deadspin.com/5383207/theres-losing-streaks-and-then-theres-losing-streaks

4. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Edinburgh High School in Indiana snapped a 52-game losing streak this season, although the previous victory was a forfeit win after the team that beat them was ruled to have used an ineligible player. The program actually left the field 68 straight games with a loss counting that forfeit "victory."
    Fort Wayne Elmhurst holds the official Indiana state record for consecutive losses, 64 from 1996 through 2002.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44708/

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And that streak was snapped largely because 6-7 basketball stud James Hardy decided to come out for football because one of his relatives was coaching the team. He had never played organized football before, became an All-Big Ten receiver at Indiana (where he was supposed to be a basketball recruit) and got drafted by the Bills.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Glenville in Minnesota set the national record in the 1980s, I believe, over 72. Sports Illustrated's William Nack did a feature on the school. Glenville played my town's school - same conference - and the word was that SI was in town, a reporter and a writer. Very exciting. At the time of this article, Glenville had lost 68 in a row and the record was 72 and I'm almost certain they did end up breaking it eventually before finally winning, perhaps the next year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120093/index.htm

8. mureporter

mureporter New Member

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

All I know is Bardstown should be ashamed. VERY ashamed they lost to Fort Knox.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I believe Savanna HS in Illinois was somewhere around 8 seasons, I also believe the school merged with another school to finally end its losing streak.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

From what I can tell, it was 63 straight losses, and the school did merge with West Carroll. St. Joseph in Westchester, Ill., (Isiah Thomas' alma mater and the school featured in "Hoop Dreams") snapped a 45-game losing streak in last season's opener.

Draft saved Draft deleted