1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School football Dec. 1-2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I saw them last week and they had an off night against the No. 6 team in the state, winning just 42-0. They had two fourth and goals denied. Four of their skill kids -- QB, RB and two WR -- are getting D-I attention. Amazing, amazing team that will go down as one for the ages with those numbers. They're playing a 3-loss team this week and at the worst a 3-loss team in the state title game. They could approach 800 points easy.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just 42-0? Wow...

Was the winning team winning big when they opted to go for it on fourth-and-goal? I hate that....

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Actually LexCath beat BG last year. The Danville game was a mess. They completely fell apart after a terrible roughing call.

Mercer and Russell both had great defenses and for the first time Mercer actually needed it.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously? Which one.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The first time was in the first half when it was 21-0, the second I can't remember from memory and don't have my notes handy.

These are their scores from the season:
    54-0
    34-7
    70-0
    42-0
    67-0
    62-0
    53-6
    61-0
    68-0
    60-0
    50-7 (playoffs)
    42-0 (playoffs)

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Whoops. Don't know how I messed that one up.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but this moved on USA Today's site this morning....Damn that's a lot of yards.

LAREDO, Texas (AP) — Alvaro Garcia apparently broke a 20-year-old state passing record when he threw for 595 yards in a Class 5A playoff game over the weekend.
    Garcia, a senior quarterback at Laredo United, completed 31-of-53 passes for seven touchdowns and two interceptions. Laredo United lost to San Antonio Reagan 72-48 Saturday.

The previous record recognized by Texas Football magazine was a 590-yard game from Kirk Saul of Turkey Valley in 1986.

A Laredo Morning Times reporter who covered the game had Garcia with 593 yards, while a San Antonio Express-News reporter had him with 588.

Laredo United coaches reviewed game film and credited Garcia with 595 yards.

The managing editor for Texas Football said his magazine will officially recognize the passing record once Garcia's coach fills out an affidavit that's included in an annual questionnaire sent to all coaches in the state.

"It's kind of an honor system," said Jake Shaw of Texas Football.

The national record for single-game passing is 764 yards, set by David Koran of Pacific Palisades, Calif., in 2000, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations. Garcia's game would rank ninth all-time.

"I guess I'm still disappointed that we lost," Garcia said. "But yeah, it feels pretty nice."

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wouldn't mind seeing game film on that 764-yard game...

Draft saved Draft deleted