1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School football Dec. 1-2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Dec 1, 2006.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

R.I. and Mass. Super Bowls today.
    La Salle gets big run, gets lead story in the ProJo on their massive offensive offensive line, then gets stopped by East Providence in a Thanksgiving Day mud wrestled featuring 26 (cq) turnovers.
    Then La Salle (late dad's alma mater) gets rolled in the Division 1 semis Tuesday by Bishop Hendricken (mine), three weeks after La Salle punked my Hawks on their own rug. Hawks beat EP in the season opener, but the Townies haven't lost since.
    Four Super Bowls is two too many for a state with only about 45 football-playing schools.
    In Mass. a four-loss Brockton team in the big game as champion of the Big Three. Go figure.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since EStreet saved me the explanation of the convoluted NJ system, I will say that last night at Giants Stadium in the Non-Public Group 4 (large private schools) final, the No. 2 team in the State, Don Bosco Prep, crushed the supposed No. 1 team, St. Peter's Prep, 41-0.

Four more games at GS today, plus 2 at Rutgers last night, 3 at Rutgers today and 3 more tomorrow, plus 4 (the deep South, aka Delaware) at local sites today.
    A total of 18 games this weekend and 2 smaller Non-Public titles were played two weeks ago.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

State title games were played Thursday and Friday.

1A: Newport Central Catholic over Danville, 37-34
    2A: Mercer County over Russell, 15-12
    3A: Covington Catholic over Bowling Green, 27-8
    4A: Louisville Trinity over Union Ryle, 41-7

NCC was down 34-17 and won.
    Mercer, with a high-powered offense, was shut down for the first time all year.
    CovCath beat BG for the second straight year.
    Trinity rolled to its record 17th state crown.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The official count was 46,990 for the Southlake Carroll game last week. The record is near 50,000 and it was a 4A state final in the 70s between Plano and someone else.
    I think the biggest crowd Permian has ever had at a playoff game is like 43,000.
    In today's matchup, Southlake Carroll led just 7-0 at halftime over Permian before lighting up the Mojo in the second half and winning 42-6.
    The game I covered, a team scored touchdowns on its first eight possessions to take a 56-14 lead. Nothing like covering a blowout in the quarterfinals.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

::)

:D

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sorry, dude. Been a busy day.

That's exactly right. Pennsylvania's 12 districts are far from equal. District 7, the WPIAL in suburban Pittsburgh, and District 3, which runs from Reading all the way to the southern border of the state, send their AAAA and AAA champs directly to the state semis.

On the other hand, if you're the champion of District 5 -- a tiny, very rural section east of Pittsburgh -- you're playing your way up two full weeks before that.

7. Still going strong in Oklahoma - weather delayed the semifinals until Monday. Arkansas is still playing too, at least in the smaller classes. The two largest ones finished a week ago.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One more week in Alabama... someone offered to give me Prattville and 24 against Hoover HOOVER HOOVER... I think I will decline, but I'd love to see the pure upset -- especially since ego boy coach Rush Propst has hired an agent in his quest for the UAB job...

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

R.I:
    D-1: East Providence 35, Bishop Hendricken (Warwick) 13
    2: Shea (Pawtucket) 46, Chariho Regional 8
    3: East Greenwich 25, Moses Brown (Providence) 8
    4: Middletown 8, Classical (Providence) 7

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Um...because he's an Ohio guy?
    Try taking some of that Ohio shit to Texas and see how long it lasts.

I might take the Little Southwest Conference against Ohio.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And look where the Texas and Florida players go: Every fucking school in the country.
    It's a dumbass barometer, though I should expect as much from you.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Junkie, what was the final Ohio-USA tally.
    I know the No. 1 team in NJ went out there and won but I really don't know how Ohio did in the rest of Herbstreit's made-for-ESPN games.

Draft saved Draft deleted