1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football 11/17-11/19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Texas finally started its damn playoffs tonight, it is so weird that other states like Idaho have their championships this weekend and Texas is just starting the first of six rounds of playoffs.
    Hopefully none of my teams go to the title game or I'll be driving tons of hours to cover a high school football game on Dec. 23.
    Anyway, anybody cover anything good tonight?
    I watched a game that was 7-6 at half and finished 33-7. Lame.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't know for sure but I may be covering a playoff game in Spring tonight. It's either The Woodlands or College Park.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

What's really fun is when you get those matchups where the schools are so small you can't even find the towns on a map. I had a six-man playoff game last year where the combined enrollment of the schools was something like 105 students. Because it was a Thursday (with absolutely nothing else going on within 100 miles), there were two newspapers and three radio stations there to cover it.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Six-man football? I never knew there was such a thing...

I don't have any playoff games to cover tonight, but then again all our teams are out. One team blew a 32-7 halftime lead to lose 44-38 in OT and the other lost 35-6 after beating that team 33-13 earlier this year.

So now I'm going to the UK game against Mississippi Valley State.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In Texas, there's multiple classes...
    5A (Big) and 5A (small)
    4A (Big) and 4A (small)
    3A, 2A, A and six-man.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wish the UIL would just have one set of playoffs for each class, but then the playoffs wouldn't be such a cash cow for them.

I only have one more playoff game to cover this weekend, but I am thinking about trying to get tickets and driving over to watch Permian play in its first playoff game since 1998. It would be fun to be with that many people to watch high school football.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Check out Lufkin one of these days. Was at one of their games recently and the corporate sponsorship they have for everything, including the senior players, is nauseating.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wasn't Lufkin on ESPN not too long ago?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Twice, actually.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Tomorrow night (Saturday) I'm headed to the state capital to see the state's No. 1 and No. 2 rated Class 5A teams battle in a semifinal: Metamora vs. Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin.

There is expected to be 6,000-7,000 people in the house, most of those for visiting Metamora. Those guys travel.

Looking forward to it. (Just hope Mrs. CI doesn't go into labor when I'm on the road). :-\

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I would die to still be covering football up here north of the border.

Instead, hockey school hockey is underway. Gag me.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The team who won 4-2 last week lost tonight 3-0....
    How'd you like to give up five points in two games and be bounced from the playoffs?

Draft saved Draft deleted