1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school fantasy football???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Search the job board for the last opening they had there... I'm sure all of the justified vitriol can be read there rather than rehash it here...

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Coming soon to the Pi Press ...

So you think you're hot?
    Prove it.
    Go to www.pioneerpress.com/sports/preps/hotornot and upload your favorite high school hottie. We'll take votes all week and Monday we see who stays, and who gets the boot.
    And on Saturday's be sure to check out our expanded coverage of high school football, we'll even have photo galleries of the hottest high school cheerleaders.
    Just go to www.pioneerpress.com/sports/preps/jailbait

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I think it's kinda funny.

But you shouldn't be able to cut players, if I was a high school kid that would affect me.

Maybe you could pick up a player mid-way through the season when you see how the new kids turn out.

Again, I think it's kinda funny.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha!

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Don't really understand what's so wrong with it. God forbid a feature that actually gets kids picking up the paper.

Obviously, if any of these people take it seriously, they have some issues. But I think it's kind of a cool, tongue-in-cheek thing that gives kids an excuse to pick up the sports page. Who knows, maybe they'll actually flip through the rest of the section as well.

6. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

You'd be amazed at how much the kids liked it. I must have had 25-30 comments on it over the course of the season from the kids and not one complaint from the parents. One kid, after he threw a touchdown, ran by me on the way to the sidelines and said, "there's six points just for you."

I couldn't care less if my team actually won, but I'm just glad the kids were reading the paper.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sorry, Jay ... really, really weak comparison. The fantasy football has to do with the performances of the athletes, which is what they're out there to do.

I'm a little uncomfortable with it, but it's not the worst idea in the world.

Like daemon said, some of you need to consider that the people who take issue with this are the ones with a problem.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why this might not end well: Because you picked Johnny Superstar over Scott Bluechip, fans of Scott's school will take that as "proof" that you're biased against his school. And you'll never stop hearing about it.

If you're supposed to be unbiased, you probably shouldn't take part in things that make you look like you are biased.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, that I can see. That's a good argument against it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The people who think you are biased will always find a way to "prove it."

Case in point, an SE I know at a suburban paper goes to a local high school game between two rival schools that are at the heart of the paper's coverage area.

A fan of Podunk High sees him and starts insisting the SE is there to root for Whatchamacallit High. Keeps yelling at the SE. Then he says,"I know you live in Whatchamacallit and I know you went to Whatchamacallit High."

The SE smiles at him and says, just loud enough for those around him to hear, "Actually, I went to Podunk High."

Best part is he was telling the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted