1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school fantasy football???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

During a meeting for our HS football preview section a couple years ago, I brought this up to my staff. Conversation went something like this:

Me: So, I've been kicking around a high school fantasy football league. What are your thoughts?
    ***Silence, nervous shuffling of papers***
    Me: Well, maybe not.

Once the idea was actually verbalized it didn't sound so great. In theory I don't think it's the worst idea in the world, but people get awful bitchy over shit like this. One winter I provided midterm grades for the HS basketball team. You would have though I printed nude pictures of the players. Ridiculous.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Did you provide the midterm grades for the band, too?

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

no, but I did grade the concession stand popcorn.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe the Pioneer Press' next item will be a High School dead pool...

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

H.S. dead pool...hell that would actually work in my neck of the woods. I average about two car accident athlete death stories a year.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just in case you thought this kind of thing was limited to the Pi Press, I will point out that the Washington Post is now doing this as well.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As
    As are the Canton Repository and Vineland (N.J.) Daily Journal.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Really, how is that man still in the business?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why all the hatred for Mike Bass? I'd love to hear legit reasons, without people outing themselves, of course.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

This likely won't end well.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's hopin'

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm too lazy to see what the pioneer press is actually doing this for but i don't see why this is such a horrible idea if done in a way that makes it clear that it's all about showcasing the kids. so the preps editor and a few preps writers draft teams of local players. they trade, cut, make pick-ups, etc. what's wrong with that? johnny junior's mom is pissed that prepsreporter1 cut johnny? how is that any different than the subjective picking of all-area teams by the preps reporting staff?

Draft saved Draft deleted