1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school dance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jan 20, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

News to some in the audience? The only people it would be even remotely close to being news to are the people who already know what happened.

Though, admittedly, you could apply the same logic to any high-school sport that isn't football or basketball.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Like that team that did the "Sluts of Jonesboro" routine last winter?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It always seems the dance team is connected to an owner of a studio who is on the lookout for more cash, I mean students.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I treat it. In our latest reinvention of ourselves, I started packaging team photos with the rec announcements on Tuesdays. Team photos were something I inherited when I took over here and kept for two reasons: 1) As our city editor (an an ex-sports editor) pointed out, it beats having to run a story about every team; and 2) I didn't want halting them to be part of my obit!

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My rule with cheerleading/dance team/drill team/drumming team/flag corps competitions is to send them all to the school page.

If it's not a recognized sport by the state athletic association or IOC, it doesn't belong on the sports page/report. Put it on the education page with the scholarship winners.

Draft saved Draft deleted