1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school dance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jan 20, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If all you have to do is something like "And Podunk High's dance team was second at the Collegetown Cheer Spectacular over the weekend," what's the fuss? Don't think it hurts.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

with a missy who was ready to play
    wasn't me she was foolin'
    'cause she knew what she was doin'

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It starts with one high school drill team. There are six public high schools plus a private Christian high school in the coverage area. Once one team gets some attention, all of them are going to want it. That's what the fuss is about.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'll be in the minority here, but put some effort into this and you can have a good clip. It's an unusual thing to cover so it can show that you're versitile.

This from the girl who volenteered to cover bowling on Friday.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the problem is? It's local news ... granted, it's for a niche audience, but still news to some in your audience. If your station/paper emphasizes local news and sports, you want lots of calls, e-mails and faxes with results on everything from Friday Night Football to Kelly pool.

One of the cheer squads here sends a little story and a photo when they win a competition, and I have no problem running it. If the other schools want to send photos in, fine with me. If not, that's OK too. It's like any other sport (and for the purpose of this conversation, let's classify cheer/dance as a sport): I run the results I have. If Podunk High calls me with their results, I don't worry if I don't hear from Podunk Tech. In fact, I hope Podunk Tech starts calling me when they see Podunk High scores.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Dance team = vocational training for future strippers.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

you'll have ... the time of your life...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or you could just phone it in and spend quality time hitting on the chaperones.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Might as well, since odds are the teachers and students will be all over each other. ;D

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

clip? isn't this for radio.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Just stand on the wall and don't engage...lol

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed.

Just make a mention of the local teams and places (and of course the winning team), maybe mention a kid's name if there is an individual finisher and that's that.

It's probably the equivalent of agate in a newspaper. Just a listing of results.

Do you have to do an interview with the winning/local coach? Even then, it's a 30-second sound bite, if that.

Draft saved Draft deleted