1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school coaches riled by ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Prep coaches and local media upset with "ESPN attitude" when network came to town to cover football game.

The complained about the network's demands and lack of access for other media.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two things that bother me about that:

1. Having the student bodies do early morning pep rallies and taking players out of class to do interviews. If I'm a parent whose non-football playing kid lost valuable time in the classroom for an ESPN show, I'd be pissed. These are high school kids, not professionals.

2. Making the teams use water bottles with logos on it and ordering them to display them on the field. Why should the kids be forced into a cheap marketing gimmick when all they want is a drink of water?
  3. CR19

CR19 Member

Normally, I would be shocked and outraged over a story like this. However, knowing that this is ESPN, I'm not surprised.
  4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Grant coach Mike Alberghini made a lot of friends in the local media with this quote:

"I agree with the local media and (limited TV access). It's the local paper and the local TV that put high school football in this town on the map, not ESPN."
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess ESPN forced the schools to play on national TV.
    If you sell out, you sell out all the way. It's their problem they agreed to do it for such little money. (Though it sounds like they got some free facilities upgrades).
    This is like schools and districts selling soft drink rights and then complaining about the offerings in the vending machines.
    And I really don't care about how the local media were inconvenienced. Instead - why not work on a larger story about how athletic programs at the high school level are signing deals with shoe companies (and yes athletic drink companies) to turn their kids into billboards.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, it's not.
  7. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

Looks like I'll have to be ready for when these folks come to town on Spet. 16. Of course, after they have to fly into Dallas and drive another three hours or more to get here, the Paragon Marketing types will probably do what they're told under threat of not being allowed to leave.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

High school football games on ESPN have only one benefit for the schools: it's neat that their kids get to play on television.

Otherwise, it serves no purpose, and apparently is a huge inconvenience.
  9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

IF they will televise Little League games, why not high schools? Or Pop Warner, for that matter. Society has lost its collective mind.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting story, but I would have liked to have seen some quotes up high -- and from the coaches first, not the media.

I was 12 grafs in wondering if anyone was going to be on the record.
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That goes way back... The made-for-TV Hoover-Tebow game years ago banned reporters from the press box and no on-field post game interviews until after ESPN was off the air.
  12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hey, Slappy ... do you know how those restrictions were enforced? I can see how reporters were banned from the press box. But on-field interviews after the game? If I was a local TV station, I woulda said, "Screw you ESPN. What are you gonna do? Yank my credential?" Can't imagine ESPN would have had enough goons on hand to enforce that.
Draft saved Draft deleted