1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School coach suffers serious head injuries in assault by opposing players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd frankly be stunned beyond belief if anyone from Hancock's team has a scholarship lined up anywhere.

And I suppose given the latest developments that the football team may not in fact be the most positive place for them to be. Positive's relative in a place like Sparta, though.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, if you put that in the context of winning and losing, HC has gone break-even or better four times since 1970. In that context, they're one of the state's most woebegone programs. Beyond that, this story suggests the environment advances trash talking rather than teamwork and sweat equity. You're right, it's not likely there's anyone with a scholly waiting. And if they are, perhaps the offers should be revoked in the wake of this mess.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The thing with HC, and it's certainly not unique to that school but it seems like it's even more pronounced there, is that there are two schools in Hancock County: HC and John Hancock Academy. The differences are exactly what you would expect. Doesn't excuse it, of course, and it's not even necessarily a REASON for it. But it's there.

Then again, HC did produce the Grant twins. So it's not as though it's impossible. But Sparta was one of the few places in that area I managed to miss, and I never felt worse off for it.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There was a sub shop in Sparta that was in the back of a gas station that made the best sandwiches. It's gone, too.

I was in Sparta Monday for the first round of the GISA state vball tourney, and I couldn't believe just how depressing the place really is.

Draft saved Draft deleted