1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School coach suffers serious head injuries in assault by opposing players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One school system decides to beef up security:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/high-school/2011-10-19/richmond-county-amends-athletic-security-policy?v=1319087167

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A skirmish? Really?

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Rest of the season? I'd say that's generous. I'd be looking at next season, too. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior, and to cancel the rest of a season that is already almost over isn't nearly enough, IMO.

4. 93Devil

For some of these kids, playing football is all they have or might ever have.

It's tough to take that away.

5. mb

mb Active Member

The obvious solution would be for them to have not beaten the opposing coach half to death.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you trying to defend what they did?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Re: High School coach suffers serious head injuries in assault by opposing playe

I think he's saying that penalizing the kids by taking away the one thing that might be a positive in their lives is awfully harsh.

However, from the looks of things – and reading between the lines of the sheriff's comments – I'd say that horse left the barn a long time ago.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would have been tough to take a manslaughter rap too, if that helmet had hit the coach just the wrong way.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tough shit.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree, tough shit for the players that were involved in this incident. But there is a waterfall effect that will hurt a lot of other innocent children. Say what you want about the band, cheerleaders, drill team, whatever. All of those organizations probide great team opportunities for the kids and give them practices to attend every night and a reason to stay accountable for their actions and to stay out of trouble. Those are the ones that cancelling the season would hurt, in my opinion.

11. 93Devil

How many players are on a football team?

How many hit this coach?

End this season. The good players already have scholarships lined up. But don't cost the kids who were not even on this team and had nothing to do with this by calling off next season.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Hancock Central assistant, who resigned this summer as head coach at Warren County, sent profane and threatening text messages to Warren players.

http://www.ajc.com/news/school-attorney-football-coach-1211797.html

Draft saved Draft deleted