1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School coach suffers serious head injuries in assault by opposing players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/high-school-coach-badly-1203243.html

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I heard about this... not surprising given the schools. Hancock Central refused to pay our association's bill for baseball this year, blaming it on a change in AD. Finally, the state had to tell them, "Pay the bill, or you don't get football refs."

They are a big rivalry, but there is absolutely NO excuse for this, whatsoever.

This is on the heels of a ref almost being attacked by a Henry County coach two weeks ago. Police had to intervene to prevent it from happening. The ref got the call right anyway.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Sad story.

I did, for what it's worth, find it funny that the sheriff's name is Primus.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sparta's a hole. An absolute hole. I think for a while it was, and may still be, the poorest place in Georgia.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

From reading the story, is it just me, or does the possibility seem pretty low that the sheriff is going to get "to the bottom of it."?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Contradictory statements there, no?

Incidentally, Warren County borders Glascock County, home of the Panthers and their infamous national-record 82-game losing streak. It has been mooted in the past that the two schools merge, as has happened in several other small Georgia counties. But ... let's just say there's a distinct difference in the student bodies of the two schools, and the Glascock folks wouldn't have it.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"Our players had nowhere to go, and felt like they had to defend themselves," said Carey.

Really?

This is an unbelievable mess. What really concerns me is the superintendent seemingly defending the players for almost killing the opposing coach.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I think you are reading it wrong. The Warren coach was attacked. The Warren players were locked out of their locker room when the Hancock players attacked. The quote is from the superintendent who is talking about the Warren players.

His story seems to be: Warren kids were locked out of locker room, they seemed to be stuck in a hallway or something and then Hancock players attacked. The Warren coach was injured in the brawl.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sheriff Primus sucks.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If that is true, then the Hancock football team needs a vacation from the remainder of the season.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: High School coach suffers serious head injuries in assault by opposing playe

Some administrators at Hancock need to lose their jobs, too.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Apropos of nothing at all, I think I'd rather lose a game 21-0 than 21-2, and I say that as someone who used to revel in the opportunity to put a 2 in a football line score.

(And once got to put a 4 in one.)

Draft saved Draft deleted