1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Basketball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Is your coverage balanced?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes. See, we don't really get winter down here.

2. Soccer is a winter sport in Florida, Texas, and probably some others.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We have girls weightlifting as well, but not all the State's counties participate. They do have a sanctioned state championship though.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No. We've had one girls basketball story this season and almost-daily updates on boys basketball.

How this hasn't ruffled enough feathers for a change, I don't know. But since neither is of my concern, I'm not worried.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

We keep it pretty balanced, although I sometimes wonder why when there are typically 25 people at the girls games and close to a packed house for the boys.

6. When both teams have the same record and are playing opponents of the same talent our coverage is balanced in inch count and presentation just as it is in the sport being played. Problem is, that never really happens in sports so it never happens in the newspaper is. Huh?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We have one suburb with two schools and deliberately write a half-inch more on one school every story just to see if the parents are paying attention...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's balanced, and has been for so long -- ever since I took over the girls' beat about 23 years ago -- that I don't believe we even think about it anymore. It's just what it is.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Classic

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. We don't alter our stories based on gender.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Water polo is a winter sport here too.

Up until this current year, girls and boys basketball were in separate seasons here, so it was pretty equal coverage in terms of ink and play.

I haven't paid that much attention to how the two sports are covered this year, with both being in the winter.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Here fans trickle in for the girls games, what with them starting between 6 and 6:15 depending on the length of the JV game. But most of the people who want to watch both games will be in the gym by about the middle of the second quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted