1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Basketball: How many regular season games does your state play?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Ohio is going from 20 to 22 regular season games beginning in 2012-13. Just wondering how many regular season games other states are allowed to play. For the record, I'm not in favor of the change not sure where we're going to put the extra 100 boys and girls games that will be added to our local sports schedule.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

18-22. I believe 20 is the max however you can play two extras if you play against certain teams in small leagues that need the bump.

EDIT: Sorry, this is in Massachusetts.

3. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Virginia 22 regular-season max.

4. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Montana 20 max

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Too many.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

20 in Michigan.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rhode Island plays 18 league games, with most teams playing around 20 to 23 when you include non-league.

8. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

South Dakota is 20, though most smaller schools play less.

9. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

Teams were up in the low 30s here in Florida by the time the state tournaments started.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In Mississippi, it's 24 regular-season games including one or two tournaments. Used to be a few more, but they cut it back a couple years ago. We had a team reach the state championship game this season and they played 31 total.

To the OP, how is it 100 extra games? The two extra games won't be played on the same day. Seems like you'll just have an extra week of basketball season to deal with. I can't see how you're adding any significant amount of work to the schedule.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Texas allows 21 games (including district schedule) and three tournaments. Tournaments are held between mid November and the Christmas break. If you get in a big tournament (say 32 teams), you can play five or six games in a weekend. It's not unual for teams to have 20-plus games before district starts.

The schools I cover are in a seven-team district, meaning a 12-game schedule. District sizes generally range from four to eight teams (there is one 10-team district in Class 5A, meaning an 18-game district schedule). Most playoff qualifiers have at least 30 regular-season games and then there are seven rounds in the playoffs. State finalists often play in excess of 40 games in a season, which is way too fucking many.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Twenty, but if you play in a mid-season tournament I believe it counts as one game, so some teams play a few more.

Draft saved Draft deleted