1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

high school athletic banquets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, May 21, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A little love to you prep writers, actually to just one, and she knows who she is.

My daughter made 1st team All Conference in Lacrosse. I sent an email to the sports reporter who covers the county in the local weekly to let her know that my daughter and her teammate made the All Conference team. She responded quickly and said it would be covered in the Spring recap article. I also forwarded the link to the conference web site to prove it.

It took her a few seconds to reply and made a parent very happy.

Signed,

A loyal future reader

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I've done banquets as a player in high school. Traditionally, my hometown paper won't send someone out to those. The coach will send a list of offensive/defensive MVPs, team MVP, hard-working, and the other spiel.

We do have an overall luncheon for city MVP, announcing the all-city/county/metro/conference teams, and then wrap the sucker up so that the kids can eat and hurry their asses back to class at their respective schools.

3. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

The only one I covered for my small daily was a few weeks ago because they were honoring their longtime head baseball coach who was retiring after some 30+ years. Of course, just my luck that I got there AFTER the food was already gone...

4. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

I have covered a handful of these, usually took some pics of trophy winners and recapped their season.

Draft saved Draft deleted