1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school athletic/academic eligibility standards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Curious to know about the academic minimums high school students must meet in order to be eligible to play sports in different states. Three I know of:

PA: Students must pass at least four full-credit courses, individual school systems are free to establish stricter standards.

VA: Students must past at least five classes for credit, and again school systems can add further requirements on top of that.

MD: County school systems each set their own requirements -- there is no state-wide standard.

What are the rules in your state?

2. CR19

CR19 Member

Here in the Bay State, from the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association:

Basically, if you're passing your classes, you're fine.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always though the academic standards in Michigan were you had to have a 2.0 to compete and not be failing more than one class. However, I've had student-athletes below that threshold who have been allowed to compete with a 1.8, or a 1.5 if they met certain requirements:

-Made 90 percent of the classes.
    -Turned in all homework
    -Went to study hall 3 times a week to improve their grades.

(This was usually at the athletic director's discretion, but generally speaking if the kid was under a 2.0 I wouldn't let them on the team.)

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Mustang - I was covering your school when it raised the academic standards to 2.0 across the board. Lots of people howled - and fewer kids were ineligible because they worked harder at their grades.

Seems to me that a "C" average isn't too much to ask.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They've definitely loosened the rules since then I had a girl with a 1.5 who was allowed to be on the team (we cut her because we didn't want the hassle), anyway it must mean the standard in Michigan is pretty loose.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Found this on the Michigan state athletic association site, among a list of things for students to know about eligibility:

5. You have received credit for the equivalent of at least 66 percent of full class-load potential for a full time student in the previous academic term.

6. You are currently passing the equivalent of at least 66 percent of full class-load potential for a full time student.

I've looked at a bunch of state sites today ... seems like everyone has some set of minimal standards except for Maryland, where the schools can do whatever they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted