1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school athletes do the darnedest things

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Sep 15, 2012.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Covered a game a few years ago in which a girl on the visiting team finished with 44 points and 20 rebounds. She had a double-double in the fourth quarter alone (14 and 10). The points broke her school's single-game record. In the rematch a few weeks later, she settled for 29 points and 24 rebounds. The rebounds broke her school's single-game record. She signed with Missouri and she's a redshirt senior there now. Still on the roster although the MU website doesn't show any stats for 2010-11 or 2011-12.

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I was born in Fostoria, still have family in the area. No CLUE things had gotten so bad, for a historically strong program......

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That stat line reminds me of a game I played in high school. Buddy of mine ran the ball four times for 178 yards and four touchdowns. He would have had a fifth for 75 yards, but I got called for holding. He got pulled after that for second and third team backs, which is what should've happened in the game OP was asking about.

EDIT: Apparently it was a close game, tied at 63 late in the game, so I guess he should've stayed in: http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1946564383229255204/thomas-tyner-runs-for-643-yards-10-touchdowns-in-record-setting-win-video/

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Most thorough asskicking I ever saw was a state championship. Venice dump trucked Dwyer 77-14 to win the Florida 5A title. It wasn't a one-man show, but I was particularly impressed with Tre Smith, then a junior. Little did I know that he would run wild for Auburn two years later in the Iron Bowl.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tre Smith was a freight train in high school. Always wondered how he would have done on a college team where he was the featured back. He probably wasn't big enough to do that for a top program, though.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I covered a high school football playoff game once that was a huge, crazy upset, and it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Winning team scored something like 28 points, had only two or three first downs and returned nary a kick (nor an interception nor a fumble) for a touchdown. They recovered several fumbles near the goal line, kept giving up sacks and penalties but then managed, on four-and-goal-from-forever, to score touchdowns on long passes.

EDIT ... Final score was 21-7.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Another Oregon high school player scored 10 touchdowns Friday night in eight-man football. His team won 82-42.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I once had a prep football team that won a playoff game 20-14 and didn't have a first down. The quarterback/safety scored on an 80-yard option keeper, a fumble return and an interception return. And, despite playing on a bad ankle (he twisted it late in the first half after he scored the TDs), he made the game-saving fourth-down tackle on a sure touchdown with less than a minute left. He had to take a knee twice at about the 1 to end the game.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I hope that kid is from some little town where they will talk about it for decades.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

If he ran for an 80-yard TD, then that's also a first down (unless it was 1st-and goal from his own 20 after a turnover/return and a crap load of penalties). Still, only one first down is an interesting stat.

11. sm72

sm72 Member

Kid did it on his birthday, too. Probably got some cake that night, if you get my meaning.

Once was covering some AAU basketball where a single player on a team -- believe it was Josh Selby, actually -- scored 70 of his team's 78 points. They lost.

12. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Football game I covered Friday was a run-of-the-mill 46-0 blowout, played with a running clock the entire second half. Still got a weird stat from it, though.
    The winning team got the opening kickoff at its own 46, broke off a 14-yard run on the next play, then didn't take another snap in its own territory. No punts crossed the 50, none of the other team's turnovers stayed on the other side of the field, nothing.
    Losing team had one drive across midfield, thanks to a couple of 15-yard penalties, but it ended with an interception that got returned to its 40.
    Final totals: 86 plays, 7 in winning team's territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted