1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school athlete sentenced to "no sports"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Great. That was beautiful.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you think that is all a kid gets out of sports, I'm probably wasting my time discussing it with you.

I'm not saying he can't get by without athletics. I'm saying, based on my experience and what I have been told by many people with practical knowledge over the years, the judge just made it more likely that this kid is going to fail than succeed.

If you want to get his attention by taking sports away, do it for minimum of a year, with the understanding that he can return to athletics with perfect behavior. Make it motivational as well as punitive.

3. outofplace

No, it wasn't, but the judge just made it a hell of a lot more likely.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Apparently, Hunter was a Tennessee recruit and has multiple legal issues:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/hunter-now-faces-additional-legal-issues-115777.html

5. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

He allegedly assaulted an ex-girlfriend at the prom. Her parents had a restraining order against him.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/crime/mother-daughter-lucky-to-be-alive-115778.html

I understand the structure and benefits for many kids who participate in sports. But this kid makes me wonder if he was given many passes because he was good at sports.

6. outofplace

Then put him in jail if he is such a bad kid. But if the intent is to push him to be a better person, which is what the judge seems to be saying here, then I think he picked the wrong approach.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Willie Mays Hayes: What the hell league you been playing in?
    Rick Vaughn: California Penal...
    Willie Mays Hayes: Never heard of it. How'd you end up playing there?
    Rick Vaughn: Stole a car.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

He is being put in jail for 180 days. And it doesn't sound to me like the judge's intent was as much about making him a better person as it was about crafting a fitting punishment that involved less prison time than the judge thought the crime warranted.

In the rest of the story, the judge sounds pretty damn pissed off and like he wanted to give the kid a much lengthier sentence but was lenient because the victim asked for leniency.

9. outofplace

So ignore the wishes of the victim's family rather than pull this granstanding crap and making it more likely that this kid is going to do something even worse.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This judge is a fucking idiot if he thinks he's helping the kid by doing this.

11. outofplace

Upon a second reading, I think frantic is right. This was more of a punitive measure than anything.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That is an absolute disgrace.
    The judge should be disbarred.

Draft saved Draft deleted