1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School and College Booster Clubs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GiveStep, Aug 6, 2013.

1. GiveStep

GiveStep New Member

Hi all! Take it easy on a newbie here...

As the thread topic states, I'm trying to research booster clubs at the high school and collegiate levels. In particular I'm hoping to find an association or network of booster club organizations and (ideally) at the state level. So far, I've only come across a handful of such groups, all of which require each club to pay an annual membership fee to join.

Do any of you have any experience with booster clubs? Is there a national organization that oversees/connects all of them or is that done solely at a state level (if at all?)?

Any help you can provide would be tremendously appreciated. Have a good night!

2. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

I don't believe there is any "oversight" group of booster clubs at the national or state level. I believe each school is responsible for making sure its booster club (and other boosters) don't do anything illegal or immoral.

That's why you see the school get in trouble when a "booster" is handing out cash/etc. to players or potential recruits. Even though the school doesn't have a hand in it, they are supposed to make sure their players and boosters know the rules and abide by them.

3. Closest thing you will get to oversight for a booster club is through the Secretary of State's office or tax office.
    Most clubs tax forms are public records and available through such offices.
    Guidestar is a good source as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted