1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High rates of alcohol abuse, depression among attorneys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It may depend on how you define alcoholism. I know two food addicts whose BMI is fine. Food is still their primary coping mechanism and can derail them for a weekend. I know a woman who is clearly hooked on pain pills, but it's not like she's spaced out all day. She's a contract lawyer, and a good one.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess that's what I'm asking. A drink is food to me, I guess. Very infrequently do I drink to intoxication, or even low-level intoxication. (i.e. a "buzz.") I like the taste, the ritual, and the exploration of different styles. My alarm goes off at 3:55 every morning for my workout, so not a lot of room for hangovers. But I probably have a drink four or five nights a week, usually after putting the kids down for the night, though sometimes with dinner. Probably two or three on football Saturdays and Sundays, throughout the day. Am I part of the 20 percent?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Frequency is a big factor, but not the only one. They used the World Health Organization's Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) to survey 12,000+ lawyers on drinking habits and outcomes. Based on answers people score between 0 to 40 and if your score is above an 8, you're considered in the hazardous or harmful range. You can take the self-assessment here:

http://www.talkingalcohol.com/files/pdfs/WHO_audit.pdf

The test is on page 31 - Appendix B.

4. franticscribe

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

13, but it's kind of misleading, because the "remorse" and "someone telling you to cut back" have to do with weight control, not intoxication. So I might be an 8, due to blacking out at my brother's wedding. Which was at a distillery. Damn you, weddings.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I got a total score. (3, big whoop. maybe a 4). I couldn't find what that compares to. What am i missing?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I scored a 7.

For perspective, at my alcoholic worst, my score would've been 29.

9. franticscribe

The WHO divides scores into four zones. You're in Zone I, which means you're at low risk. There's a chart on page 22 of that link that shows where other scores fall.

poindexter likes this.
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If they are drinking so much, why are they unhappy?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Dammit, another zero on a test!

Draft saved Draft deleted