1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High rates of alcohol abuse, depression among attorneys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Higher than among journalists? I tend to doubt it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I always wonder when I see stories like that if it's the profession that causes those problems. ... or if something about the profession itself attracts people who were already susceptible to those problems.

4. Dick Whitman

Not from what I've observed.

5. Dick Whitman

I'd like to know the methodology. It mentions frequency. I drink frequently, for example. But moderately. Would I be in the 20 percent?

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This is not news. Weekday AA meetings in cities are filled with attorneys. Anybody who has dealt with lawyers helping lawyers programs or board discipline sees how frequently alcohol is the basis of any problem.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Before reading up on the OJ case when American Crime Story started the other day, I had forgotten about F. Lee Bailey's flask of "coffee" in the courtroom.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My fiancee is an attorney and most of her friends are attorneys. I agree with Dick. They all seem to be neurotic squares. It's a rural area, though. That might make a difference.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Surprised its just alcohol to be honest. Knew a couple heavy into coke.

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Ban the legal profession.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've heard a theory that depression and addiction tend to go untreated in lawyers because they fear disbarment, but I'm not sure how much it has been formally studied.

12. Dick Whitman

I think that's definitely a factor among law students, because of all of the reporting you have to do on the Character and Fitness application. Our dean of students told us that if we were so much as hassled by a mall cop, we better report that, in case there's a record of it that they scare up. I reported getting suspended for tardies in 7th grade. (And I'm glad I did - the Bar contacted me for the address and phone number of my junior high. So I guess they'd have found it, if the record existed.)

I was written up freshman year of college for drinking in the dorm. I called the school to see if there was still a record. There wasn't. But I reported it anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted